Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My mother is 79 yrs old. She has just finished of 70 days of…

Customer Question
My mother is 79 yrs...
My mother is 79 yrs old. She has just finished 69 of 70 days of IV infusions for Staph in the blood stream. We were told the staph had set up in her back, she spent a week in the hospital (admitted through ER) prior to the 69 days of IV therapy for a very bad UTI infection that had her out of her mind (fever spiked at 104). She also had a torn rotator cuff injury that her general practitioner had given her a shot of cortisone for (in his office) just days before the ER admission & finding of the UTI. The antibiotic she was given by IV (picc line infusion-as an out patient for the 69 days) was rocephin she had a MRI done of her back (Friday- day before yesterday) and the results show she is in worse condition with septic arthritis of the spine. They monitored her sed. rate which was at 111 when she 1st began the IV infusions but the last 4 weeks it was fluctuating at 43 one week then up to 51 down to 48 & back up to 57. They have changed her antibiotic to daptomycin that was Saturday (yesterday). We have not seen a Dr. as of yet. We got a copy of the MRI report from my moms reg DR. who told us all he could say was it doesn't look good. We will see the infectious disease assistant Monday (tomorrow). I'm so much in the dark about this that I don't know what to ask. Can you help me understand what is going on here and what might be my mom's prognosis for this?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/25/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Still need help?
please.

sure do you have a copy of the MRI?