Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

What is the Vagus Nerv? What is the Vagus Nerve? I just want…

Customer Question
What is the Vagus...

What is the Vagus Nerv?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

What is the Vagus Nerve?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I just want to know about the Vagus Nerv what does it do in our bodies?

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Neurologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Well, vagus nerve is one of longest of the 12 cranial nerves.

This nerve, extends from the brainstem to the abdomen by way of multiple organs including the heart, esophagus, and lungs.

It run from the brain stem and branch out through the neck and down each side of the body, across the abdomen and to the main organs.

Some of the main functions of this nerve are-

1. Breathing
  2. Speech
  3. Sweating
  4. Helping in keeping the larynx open during breathing
  5. Monitoring and regulating the heartbeat
  6. Informing the brain of the food that is ingested and food that has been digested
  7. The Vagus Nerve performs the major function of emptying the gastric region of food.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

May i help you further?

Do you need more help?

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh