Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

My husband was dx with shingles today. I am 53 y/o. Should I

get the shingles vaccine?...
My husband was dx with shingles today. I am 53 y/o. Should I get the shingles vaccine? I had chickenpox as a child. And would it be safe for him to go to "picture" for our daughter's homecoming pictures? Thank you!
9/23/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, even thoiugh you did get chicken pox as a child it is advisable that you do get the shingles vaccine in this situation. SHingles is a very infectious virus and it can be transmitted quite easily by simple touching especially until the lesions crust over completely. If he was just diagnosed that means that the lesions on his body are still relatively new and they have not started to crust over, in that situation i would advise that he NOT go to get pictures with your daughter as he can transmit the virus to others. ONCE the lesions start to crust over then his infectious phase would have passed and you can have him interact with other people, usually this would occur anywhere between 7-14 days after appearance of the rash.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist