Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have recurrent short term memory loss since 2013. At first…

I have recurrent short...

I have recurrent short term memory loss since 2013. At first it was thought to be a medication reaction but no change in medication including no medication seems to stop it. It has been written off as a side effect of fibromyalgia but I disagree as these are episodes of near amnesia though ability to retain who I am does not change. I've gotten loss to and from work going to and from a home and office I've been at for 9 years. I don't recognize street names I see every day. I am unable to retain instructions seconds after accepting them. I am a 34 yo female.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have my MRI showed nothing x2 excepted for a blip that was gone the second time.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am taking ciprolex. This started while taking low dose topiramate for migraines which was discontinued as the cause of memory loss and sudden weight loss (40lb)

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

I have bipolar 2 and fibro The migraines are under control

This is not a constant. It appears once to twice a month and last a few days.
It is not psychosis as I don't act out of character or act impulsively. I am always aware that I don't know what's going on.
9/23/2017
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Well memory loss could be related to a variety of different causes including structural / physical, metabolic , psychosocial etc.

So physical or structural cause is ruled out through imaging like MRI or CT scan brain ,you had an MRI so its not that.

We need to look at your thyroid hormone & B12 levels. A deficiency of both can impair memory functions.

Depression in itself can cause memory loss .Being depressed can make it difficult to pay attention and focus, which can affect memory. Stress and anxiety can also get in the way of concentration. When you are tense and your mind is overstimulated or distracted, your ability to remember can suffer. Stress caused by an emotional trauma can also lead to memory loss.

Other risk factors like smoking, alcohol and lack of sleep all have to be addressed.

Depending on exact cause the treatment can be started . I hope it helped you getting a fair idea on what all can be causing this

B12 and thyroid are tested regularly (hashimotos runs in my family). I quit smoking almost 3 years ago. I do not drink or do drugs. My ability to spell and read have deminished drastically. I sleep quite deeply within 10minutes and take zopiclone on the nights that take 30 minutes or more. I have familiar tremors as well. As a medical assistant I constantly feel that I am endangering my patients. I find myself often confused between urgent and non urgent matters. I am quite scared by much of it. I've tried different family doctors and they either shrug it off or discourage changing my medication as they fear a bipolar lapse.

It seems more psychological and its a good idea to get professional help from a psychiatrist for regular counselling sessions. It seems your medications arent helping you much and you are too anxious most of the time. The lack of a settled mind can add to the memory issues because of diminshed concentration span. You are too young for getting Alzeihmers and you dont have any risk factors for vascular dementia. So its difficult to exactly pin point one single causative etiology in your case here. Have you done any drugs ever ?

Only marijuana in the early to mid 2000s and it was socially.

Marijuana use can cause memory impairment in some cases but offcourse it would depend on how much how often you used to consume. So all these factors need to be considered and if nothing seems to help then it couod be attributed to the side effects of your medications .

Hope it was useful

Hope it was useful.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Plz do remember to reward credit by leaving a positive rating to my work.

I wish you a healthy life.

Stay blessed.

Regards

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions. The system shows you have asked for a new professional, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about the recurrent memory loss issues you have been experiencing. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I see you have had certain investigations to find out the cause for this memory loss you have described above including brain mri scans, certain blood tests etc but so far the cause for this memory loss has not been identified. We need to explore further, you may ask your neurologist to arrange for the below mentioned special investigations and hopefully this approach will help in identifying the cause for your memory loss;

1) SPECT or PET scan including FDG PET (Fluro Deoxy Glucose PET scan)

2) Or an Amyloid PET scan (Amyvid PET scan with Florbetapir F-18 injection)

3) CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid) studies – this fluid is obtained through a spinal tap (also called as LP or Lumbar puncture)

4) EEG study (Brain wave study)

5) Certain Genetic tests

6) A brain Angiogram study (checking the arteries that supply the brain)

7) If none of the above investigations help then a Brain biopsy may need to be considered too

The specific treatment that will be tried will depend upon the findings of the above mentioned investigations, and in the meantime you may try one or more of the below mentioned memory enhancing medications or supplements;

This is the list of various treatment options to help with this type of recurrent memory loss;

A) Dietary modifications – you may try what is called as Mediterranean diet (diet rich with nuts, grains, fruits, vegetables, low animal fat, fish, lean meat, wine etc) and this type of diet has been found to be helpful in improving memory

B) Physical exercises – Physical Exercises on regular basis help in improving memory

C) Mental exercises (solving tough crossword puzzles, brain teasers, communication, socialization, computer based mental exercises etc) also can considerably help in improving memory

D) Using one or more of the nutritional supplements such as the following can help too;

Medical Food such as Axona (Caprylic triglyceride)

Omega 3 Fatty acids (DHA & EPA)

Ginkgo Biloba

Ginseng

ALA (Alpha Lipoic acid)

Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)

Citicoline (CDP Choline)

Alpha GPC

Uridine

Bacopa (Brahmi)

One of the Racetams like Piracetam, or Aniracetam, or Omberacetam

Memantine

Rivastigmine

Donepezil

Razadyne etc

The above are the various treatment options, and these treatment options can help you to improving your memory, and also help you in preventing this happening in the future. I am not telling all these above mentioned treatments are required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with various treatment options that are available for your condition and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried. And also you may try to undergo a thorough neurological evaluation & investigations that are mentioned earlier above which can help in identifying the precise cause for this annoying and bothersome recurrent memory loss you are suffering from, and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results

Please do not lose hopes, this type of health condition can be diagnosed and successfully treated as mentioned above.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Thank you. It's the first time anyone has made me feel like it's real. I will force the issue as clearly there is additional information that can be obtained.
I had several concussions as a child and multiple seizures from fevers. I fractured my neck in 2001 falling off a horse. As a bipolar patient I've had years of medications that alter my personality and brain chemistry. My situation may not have a "cure", but I would very much like to pinpoint the cause or give it a name. Having gone from reasonably intelligent to having to call home to ask why I'm at the store has been devestating on many levels. So again, thank you.

You are very welcome! I am very glad you found the above information helpful!

Yes, you certainly have significant neurological history that can cause or contribute to the memory loss - in the form of head injuries, seizures, possible altered brain chemistry etc, and these can affect the cognitive functioning of the brain including recurrent memory loss etc. Please try to undergo the above neurological investigations and these can help us in shedding more light in to the nature & cause of your cognitive issues and give us further directions for properly treating these issues. You may also consider trying one or more of the above mentioned therapeutic interventions too, and these can help.

Wishing you all the very best!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD