Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a sensorineural unilateral hearing loss due to having…

Customer Question
I have a sensorineural...

I have a sensorineural unilateral hearing loss due to having meningitis as a baby at 2 weeks old 38 yrs ago. I can hear in my right ear except in high frequencies but not at all in my left because the auditory nerve was destroyed after meningitis, The meningitis also resulted in some short term memory and spatial problems. Is there a link between hearing loss and developing dementia? Do you think the short term memory difficulties could develop into dementia later in life? Do you think this kind of deafness would be a concern if I wanted to have children- would they inherit any of the difficulties I have?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

I haven't had an audiogram since childhood as there hasn't been any change in my hearing. My doctors would probably have the latest audiogram but it was done a long time ago. I was probably 7 or 8 last time I had a hearing test which determined my hearing loss for school but I had them earlier as well.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had what was misdiagnosed as a psychotic episode about 8 years ago . It was actually a UTI that was misdiagnosed as I was almost septic. Later I found out that UTI's can make you do some strange things. I have also experienced bone conduction during that episode.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/23/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you are concerned whether sensorineural hearing loss is linked to dementia. As a neurologist I am very familiar with the health concerns you have mentioned above and I can certainly help you in this regard. I am currently preparing & typing my answer now and I will post my answer at the earliest. I see you have posted two questions with same health concerns; I will post my answer under one of these questions asap

Best Regards,

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, I have already posted my answer at your other question area; if you have any additional question you may follow up either there or here - as per your convenience.

Best Regards

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)