Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Any relationship combining Valium & gabapenten with swollen…

Customer Question
Any relationship combining Valium...

Any relationship combining Valium & gabapenten with swollen feet

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

2 days after taking Valium 5 days

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Dealing with anxiety fora few months & went on Valium for approx 1week since spraining back/rib cage in rear end car accident

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/22/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your swollen feet. Actually the drug which can commonly cause edema or swelling of the feet is neurontin or gabapentin. this is a common side effect of gabapentin which can occur at any time during the therapy. This means that it can even occur if you have been using the gabapentin for several weeks or months. Basically what this indicates is that the swollen feet are likely to be due to the gabapentin rather than the valium. Now to directly answer your question, usually swollen feet is not a common side effect of valium. It is possible however that valium in combination with gabapentin could have enhanced the potential of you developing the swollen feet side effect of gabapentin, however the data regarding this association is lacking.

So in short it is more likely that the swollen feet occurred because of the gabapentin itself rather than the valium, because of lack of data regarding this association. However the simplest way to check if this is what is causing your problem would be to stop valium for a week and see if the swollen feet disappear or not, if they do then the problem is valium and you are one of the very rare cases where this occurs. Otherwise the likely cause is gabapentin.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Neurologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 7 months ago

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist