Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My husband is 67 yo, Caucasian, male who has to use a BiPap…

Customer Question
My husband is 67 yo...
My husband is 67 yo, Caucasian, male who has to use a BiPap and also has Atrial Fib that is controlled. He has HTM, obese, and still works a full time job of 50 hrs weekly because he wants too.Every so often he gets these spells where RLS is very prominent but these episodes are flailing with the arms also and he tries to speak. His hands constantly rubbing his stomach when they are not flailing in the are. He took 2 Benadryl & later added a 10 mg Diazepam & 300mg Gabapentin. What is this? HELP
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/22/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 11 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, Thanks for the question and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns related to your husband’s health situation as you have described above. And I am sorry I could not reply earlier since I was away from the computer and just returned.

I am sorry to hear about your husband’s health situation. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First I need to ask few questions so that I can gather more information related to the health concerns you are having about your husband and I will follow up with you and post my questions here ASAP. I am typing the questions now and I will follow up with you as soon as I am ready with my questions.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Kindly answer to these questions, this will help me in gathering additional information related to your health concerns about your husband;

1) Approximately for how long is he having these symptoms (flailing etc)?

2) How often these episodes happen, daily, regularly, or occasionally?

3) When these happen is he alert and conscious or does he appear confused, disoriented or incoherent?

4) Does he manifest with seizure like symptoms – for example stiffening of the limbs, shaking of the limbs like a seizure?

5) During these episodes does he lose control of his bowels or bladder?

6) How long each of these episodes last?

7) Do they happen night & day time both?

8) Has he already seen a doctor for this issue, and has he had any tests/medical investigations done already (blood tests, scans, or any other tests)? If yes, kindly provide me with the report of these tests

9) Is he under excessive stress recently? Does he suffer from anxiety disorder?

10) Does he have any history of long term & heavy alcohol drinking or cigarette smoking?

Kindly reply

Best Regards!

Hi, have you received the questions I have posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches to reply to me. If you require more time it is perfectly fine and I will wait here. Kindly try to reply to the above questions when you can, and I can certainly help you with your health concerns about your husband related to the issues you have mentioned above.