DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

I had a series of neuropsychologist test administered on me.

I had a series of neuropsychologist test administered on me. Results were very low cognitive deficits and a significant drop in IQ. My neurologist sent me to get an MRI, all looks well with that. I had been diagnosed with essential tremors a while back and they continue to get worse. I am able to perform my job duties after being at the type of work for 22 years. My neurologist is sending me to a specialist that specializes in Alzheimers and Dementia. What other test can be done and what should I expect at the specialist appointment? I'm very worried because I am only 46 years old.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, I have seen a doctor. Wellbutrin, Pristiq and Klonipin as needed.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No mam.

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

There are no other tests to diagnose dementia if there is no underlying cause : in other words Alzhemier's is a clinical diagnoses.

However, other causes must be ruled out., and if not tested for , this should be done.

B12 deficiency.

Depression.

Thyroid disease

Small vessel disease in the brain [MRI/MRA should be done.].

And other possibilities.

'The specialist will consider all of this and do the testing.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Blood work has been done for B12 definciency and thyroid. And they also have taking into consideration the medicine I'm taking. I guess I'm questioning what different will a specialsit do versus a regular neurologist.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I am having a test in a few weeks to rule out Parkinsons.

They will have more experience treating it.

They will do more metabolic testing [testing all B vitamins for example].

And will do a more highly specialized brain imaging.

And cinch the diagnosis.

Please don't forget to click a 5 rating on the scale, then I am in the clear with just answer.

Come back as needed.