Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

Second opinion] It's seems like Lyrica is loosing its

second opinion] It's seems like...
second opinion] It's seems like Lyrica is loosing its effectiveness in helping me to manage my fibromyalgia pain and other sensitivities like light, noise, etc
I'm also gaining weight on the Lyrica even though I don't eat much. My diet hasn't changed but I'm still gaining weight.I've been exercising when the pain is manageable but lately I'm in too much pain to even consider exercising.What other medication has a high success rate in managing fibromyalgia?
9/21/2017
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions. The expert to whom this question was initially addressed is not available now and the company has made this question available for other experts too, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear you are suffering from FMS (Fibromyalgia syndrome), and you are concerned lyrica is not helping you, and also causing weight gain so you are looking for other safer treatment options. As a neurologist I frequently treat this health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Could you kindly tell me what other treatments have you tried so far to help with FMS (other than lyrica)? This way I will know what has already been tried and I can make some new recommendations, also keeping in mind such treatments should not cause weight gain.

Best Regards,

Dr Subbanna MD

I’ve tried amitripelene which makes me like a zombie so I had to stop it. I currently take napacod 2 tablets 3 times a day in addition to the Lyrica. I’ve also tried tramadol but I’m allergic to it so I ended up in hospital where they had to pump me with steroids to get me back to normal. Here’s some medical history in case it helps:
I’ve had ulcerative colitis for over 20 years, I’ve had some bad episodes over the years and I’ve been on all types of meds including Revellex which after a few years gave me drug induced lupus. The ulcerative colitis is now in remission with no meds. After the drug induced lupus my only option left was to surgically remove my colon but as a last resort my Dr tested me for a wide range of parasites and strangely found that I had bilharzia. Very strange because I’ve never been in a place where I could have come into contact with the snail. Nonetheless he treated the bilharzia and my UC went into remission. But I was left with fibromyalgia which was reducing me to tears because nobody knew what was causing my pain. I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist late last year.
I also suffer from raynards and other then the pain from the fibro I have really bad sensitivity to light. I’ve suffered from migraines since I was a child.
I also take vit B6, B12 and vit D.
I tried canabis oil but it didn’t help me.
I’m also intolerant to gluten. If I eat gluten my pain goes through the roof and my colon starts bleeding so I avoid it completely.

Okay I see. I appreciate for all these additional information. And I am really sorry to see you are suffering from severe FMS (fibromyalgia syndrome) and you have tried varieties of treatments but all in vain so far. I am preparing & typing my answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready. Typing may take few minutes and I will follow up with you and post my answer here the moment I finish with the typing.

Best Regards!

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

Please find below a list of various treatment options that are helpful for controlling the pain and certain other symptoms associated with FMS, and also without the fear of causing weight gain;

A) The following are the various medications or supplement treatments that are used to control the pain and other symptoms associated with FMS;

Milnacipran

SAMe (S Adenosyl Methionine)

5 HTP (5 Hydroxy Tryptophan)

L Tryptophan

Valerian root extract etc

B) The following are the various non-medication treatment options that can be used to control the pain and other symptoms associated with FMS;

Therapeutic Ultrasound (Ultrasound therapy)

Interferential therapy (type of electrotherapy)

TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) – another type of electrical therapy

Deep Heat therapy/Diathermy

CES (Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation)

Laser therapy (Cola laser or Low level laser therapy)

Trigger point management/massage therapy (if trigger points are present)

PEMFT (Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy)

rMS (Repetitive Magnetic stimulation) treatment

Transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) treatment

Myofascial release therapy

Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)

CAM (Complementary and Alternative Medicine) treatments such as Acupuncture, Yoga/meditation, Biofeedback, Hypnotherapy etc

Manual & manipulative therapies such as;

Physical therapy including stretching, strength building, and aerobic exercises, water exercise

Chiropractor therapy

Massage therapy

Osteopathic therapy etc

I am not telling all these above mentioned treatments are required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with various treatment options that are available for your condition and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried. The non-medication treatment options mentioned above are anyway not known to cause weight gain, and the examples of medication treatment options mentioned above are also not known to cause weight gain, and these are all commonly used to manage pain & other symptoms associated with FMS, and I earnestly hope they will help you immensely, and also without causing any weight gain.

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

What is your opinion on Savella? Would it be an option for me if Lyrica isn’t working anymore?

Yes, Savella (Milnacipran) is not expected to cause weight gain, and it can help for FMS symptoms including pain too.

Do I need to wean off the Lyrica or can I move straight onto Savella?

Savella & Lyrica are taken together by some patients, so weaning off of lyrica is not a must, so if you wish you can straightaway start with savella. Savella starting dose is usually 12.5 mg per day, and then dose is slowly increased up to about 50 mg twice per day (= 100 mg per day), and the maximum dose on savella usually is 200 mg per day (as 100 mg twice daily).

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Thank you

You are very welcome! My pleasure!

Wishing you all the very best!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)