Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have excruciating pain in my left hand just above my wrist…

I have excruciating pain...

I have excruciating pain in my left hand just above my wrist and just below my thumb joint. It is swollen both on top of my hand above wrist and below thumb also swollen on Palm side just adjacent to other swelling. Icing it made it worse. Alleve hasn't touched the pain. I also tried Voltaren gel. I can barely stand the pain

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No injuries. It just started hurting when we're out to dinner. Has gotten increasingly worse.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am a landscaper and use my hands, but have not worked the past few days. I can hardly stand this pain, but don't really want to go to ER. I don't tolerate meds vey well.

9/21/2017
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

Since when is the pain?

Is there any specific area of tenderness?

Are your thumb movements painful?

Is there warmth, redness?

Age 70, just started this evening about 4 hours ago, but now it is radiating up my entire arm. It is becoming unbearable
Areas below thumb joint and above wrist
Yes thumb movements hurt
Not red or particularly warm
Really hurts

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

This can be de Quervain's Tenosynovitis. It is inflammation of tendon sheath of the tendons of the thumb. You should consult an orthopedic specialist or specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation. The treatment is following;

1) Thumb and wrist splint

2) Deep electrotherapy done at physical therapy (iontophoresis / phonophoresis).

3) Physical therapy

4) Steroid shots

5) Anti-inflammatory analgesics.

Please read about it in this resource:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/de-quervains-tenosynovitis/basics/definition/con-20027238

Since pain is excruciating, it is advised to go to urgent care or ER for an injectable analgesics.

Ice compresses can also help you.

Keep it raised as much as possible.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

I went to ER last night. They have me A Hydrocodon pull which did not touch the pain. Then gave me a morphine shot which barely dulled pain. Going to Ortho today. Thank you.

You are most welcome.

Thanks for taking time for the update.

Wishing you a very speedy recovery.

You may need x-rays and MRI.

There is another possibility of infection, which may need antibiotics.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

drphophalia
At ER they gave me Hydrocodone which did't touch pain and then a Morphine shot which also didn't relieve pain, but knocked me out. Xray showed nothing. I can't get in to see Ortho until next Tuesday. My GP suggested a Methylprednisolone dosepak. Should I take that now or wait for shot into hand next week. Would the shot be more effective? My hand is still swollen in same area. The general pain is now bearable but I can't bend my thumb or use my hand.

You may take Methylprednisolone dose pack. This is likely to help. Ask your GP if he can get an MRI meanwhile. Keep it elevated as much as possible. Apply ice 3-4 times a day and see if a brace gives you some relief.

Thank you. Have been icing and am going to get brace tomorrow. Thank you for your good advice.

You are very welcome.

Wishing you a very speedy recovery.

drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia, Other