Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Im trying to figure out if a blow to the side of my head is…

Customer Question
Im trying to figure...

Im trying to figure out if a blow to the side of my head is something to be worried about

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?

I was punched in the head this morning by accident so about 6 hours or, more like 8

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Im also pregnant

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)

Hi there. Sorry to hear about your injury. Did it knock you unconscious?

no, i was not unconscious

Are you suffering from headache, nausea, visual changes or problem with your balance?

ive had a headache and i have a bruise under my hair. the blow was particularly strong about 2 inches directly above where the top of my ear meets my head
eating makes it feel worse

There are muscles there that attach to the jaw, so it is not surprising that a blow or bruise here would hurt more when you chew. Otherwise, it is not very common to suffer a brain injury from a blow like this to this area of the head. When there is a bleed internally, it usually arises within a few hours of the trauma. The fact that it has been about 8 hours is very reassuring. This should improve slowly over the next 5-7 days. Ice and anti-inflammatories can help to reduce inflammation and help you to feel better sooner.

Thanks. That makes me feel better

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best.

Neurologist: Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD) replied 7 months ago

Hello. How's your head toda? Has it improved? Do you have any follow up questions? If so, let me know and I would be happy to help further.

If not, a positive rating would me much appreciated. This is the only way physician-experts on this site get compensated for the time they spend helping patients.

Best wishes,

Doctor-Bob

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)