Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

MRI brain scan What is a posterior cranial fossa cyst just…

Customer Question
MRI brain scan What...

MRI brain scan What is a posterior cranial fossa cyst just to the left of midline along the cerebellar falx causing mild mass effect on the left cerebellar hemisphere in the midline and following CSF signal intensity on all sequences mean? Cyst measuring 2.2 x 2.1 x 3.9cm....I have headaches, dizziness, hearing loss short term memory loss.... is this something that should cime out

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Yes I have nausea...always had a weak stomach though... and it really hurts when I bend down or 'run up the stairs'....

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/20/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 10 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi Elizabeth, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health symptoms and also I see the brain mri scan has shown a cyst as mentioned in the mri report. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

I am almost done with my typing I will follow up with you very soon.

Best Regards!

First about the diagnosis of the cyst; this type of cyst is called as arachnoid cyst and this is not an uncommon finding during mri scan of the brain

This cyst is in the area adjacent to the cerebellum part of the brain. This area of the brain controls our coordination and balance. However the cyst is not causing any major issues in your case. It is causing mild mass effect. Mass effect means pressure effect from the cyst, this cyst is causing only mild pressure effect, so we cannot confidently say this cyst is causing all your symptoms. This type of cyst may cause incoordination and imbalance related to the left arm and/or left leg, if you are having these type of symptoms then we can attribute them to the cyst, but the types of symptoms you are having most likely not related to this cyst.

Now to discuss more on arachnoid cysts; first of all please see cysts are fluid filled cavities or sacs. Arachnoid is the term used for arachnoid membrane which is a layer of protective structure covering around the brain. The cysts are called as arachnoid cyst because these cysts arise from the arachnoid membrane. Arachnoid cysts contain CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid) inside them. CSF is a fluid found in the brain and spinal cord regions.

Arachnoid cysts are considered as congenital or developmental cysts in the brain (people are most often born with these cysts). These cysts are not related to any tumor etc, so nothing to worry from that point of view. Also another good news is they do not grow or increase in size - most of the time, and remain the same size throughout the life.

There is no medication treatment for these cysts, and if any treatment is tried then it is surgical like putting a shunt into the cyst and draining the cyst, or excising/removing the cyst etc.

Generally the arachnoid cysts are not treated surgically as they do not cause any symptoms in the patient, and also on most occasions they remain at the same size lifelong. Moreover any brain surgery including an arachnoid cyst surgery carries some risk (bleedings, infections etc) and this is another reason why surgery for the arachnoid cyst is considered as a last resort treatment, and undertaken only when it has to be done and no other option exists.

However if the cyst is growing in size, and clinically if you are developing new symptoms or if your existing symptoms are worsening (progressing) then surgical intervention may be required. If the cyst is growing in size significantly and/or if the patient is considerably suffering from the cyst then surgical intervention is required, not otherwise

And the mri report that is provided to me above has not mentioned about any other brain related finding, in otherwords there is no mentioning of conditions like MS (Multiple sclerosis), strokes, brain tumors, brain infections etc

The types of symptoms you are having also can be secondary to various medical conditions too including the following;

Thyroid disease

Vitamin deficiencies

Autoimmune inflammatory or connective tissue diseases

Chronic infections like lyme etc (if there is risk for lyme) etc

If the above conditions have not already been ruled out then you need investigations to explore the above mentioned possibilities too and then treated appropriately deepening upon the test results

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi Elizabeth, Do you have any additional health questions? Do you want to discuss your health concerns and the brain mri findings further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

I started having episodes where one eye goes off in la la land and when one half my face just stops working.... it comes and goes... can this be from cyst on brain
Pic below is me half face working the next two is when my eye is in la la land and then the last pic is a normal pic
Blood pressure is good and it's just when my head throbs and I am dizzy
Which comes and goes... really feel throbbing and dizziness when going up stares, running, etc
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 9 months ago

Hi, I see you have still not rated my previous answer. It was more than a month ago I had posted my answer to your previous question but you still have not rated it. You may please rate my answer now and I will be very glad to continue answering your questions after the rating, and as long as you need my services.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!