Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a hyper-extended elbow along with 2 surgeries.

Customer Question
I have had a...

I have had a hyper-extended elbow along with 2 surgeries. The front of my arm at the shoulder is in pain as well as half way to my back. Do shoulder injuries happen along with hyper extension of an elbow ? Really need to know. Thank you! I've been looking on line and can't seem to find the two injuries coupled together as one occurrence. As you may suspect, the is a work related injury, and am being denied further care. What to do? I am just curious if these injuries could have happened at the same time and are related. It was an acute traumatic injury and have received therapy...but still not the best.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Maybe lack of attention because of my elbow.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not anything that they don't already know.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/19/2017
Neurologist: DrRussMd, Board Certified MD replied 11 months ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Any injury that damages the arm might have damaged the shoulder.

However, this would generally be revealed on orthopedic exam.

If you have not had that exam, it is needed.

shoulder pain can come from the neck as well, from cervical spine disease.

It can come from a wear and tear on the tendons of the shoulder, or arthritis.

All are possible.

But you can not directly attribute it to a hyper extended elbow.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.