Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I was looking something up. My right thumb started tingling,

Customer Question
I was looking something...

I was looking something up. My right thumb started tingling, and then it swelled and turned blue. This is the second time it has happened. The first time was two weeks ago. It went back to normal the next day, so I figured I must have hurt it and didn't remember. Now I'm worried it's the symptom of something else.

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

Swelling just a few hours. no recent injuries.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Just that I'm 47 and starting to get stiff joints, maybe some mild arthritis. I am training for a half marathon, but no injuries. I run about 15-20 miles/week. No pain in joints while I run, but recovery is now more active--rolling, ice, etc.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/19/2017
Neurologist: drphophalia, Other replied 11 months ago
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

You should be looked for peripheral arterial disease like Raynaud disease or phenomenon.

This is autoimmune phenomenon and following investigations would be advised;

1) Autoimmune panel

2) Colored doppler study of the arteries.

3) Nail bed capillaroscopy.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl