Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I have been visiting here over the last few months due to…

Hello. I have been visiting...
Hello. I have been visiting here over the last few months due to kidney concerns that have been resolved. I need your help about fainting
Here is my question.Last week I fainted for a one second getting out of bed. The day before I did 2 hours of cardio training and did not eat for 30 hours. I had one meal at midnight. Slept for only 2 hours and when I rose quickly I blacked out. I only eat one meal a day. Mostly only about 1000cals per day average intake. I am often dehydrated and have felt lightheaded on training days. I train most days 1-2 hours.Went to my doctor who said I was likely dehydrated and undernourished. Worried about orthodtstatic hypotension, I googled symptoms and of course found multi system atrophy. This week I feel motor weakness. I had a hot flash today. I sometimes feel an odd gasping sensation and words on my phone seem blurry. I have a tendency toward body image issues and try to stay very lean. I eat little and drink less. This has been a concern for years. i am a male 46 years old. This week I have felt slightly lightheaded 3 times upon standing up. Not near fainting though. I do struggle with health anxiety but would like your thoughts on my health based on the above. Could I actually begin to show the symptoms mentioned above this quickly after fainting and have multi system atrophy. Is blurry vision an issue this early in the process. Thank you for your time and care.
9/19/2017
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Your symptoms are highly unlikely to be due to multi system atrophy.

Your symptoms are most likely due to low calorie diet, fluid and electrolyte imbalance and may be low blood sugar.

Orthostatic hypotension can occur due to dehydration and electrolyte issue.

You may need to increase your calories slightly and also need to drink low calorie drinks for electrolyte replenishment.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.
Thank you doctor. Tell me about possible vision issues in msa. How do they present. Why do you think it is highly unlikely. I check off a lot of the boxes for the autonomic side of things. That said I have no bladder issues or erectile dysfunction. Thank you again.
Is there a concern that I have been lightheaded a couple times this week. When does that become a concern...when lightheaded turns into fainting?

You are very welcome.

Lightheadedness turning into fainting is concerning which indicates that either your electrolytes are severely deranged or you are significantly dehydrated. Both of these can cause vision issue and I can assure you is not due to MSA in your case.

In MSA it is recurrent and persistent for significantly long duration.

It is privilege assisting you.

Is there anything that I need to worry about at all. Do I need a tilt table test or anything. Would you say given the info provided that I don't have MSA and that the symptoms are from nutrient deficiency combined with over worrying with health anxiety. Also, are you a neurologist? Thank you.

Sir,

I am not a neurologist. I am a surgeon and I have done fellowship in sports medicine. Many of my patients who are sportsperson do feel the same symptoms as they are too much conscious of the nutrition and diet. They tend to do underdo and get these symptoms. So I am fairly experienced about it. I can assure you that it is nutritional deficiency and health anxiety causing these problems.

with your knowledge of msa, it is unlikely that I have anything sinister and that better nutrition could make me feel better. Also, your athletes faint occasionally too?

Yes, Athletes do faint and just giving them Gatorade, they recover back.

You do not have anything sinister and MSA is unlikely in your case.

Last one. So even though I have felt a little lightheaded since the faint, it really isn't orthostatic hypotension. It is dehydration and electrolytes. I have eaten and trained like this for years. I guess my body finally had enough abuse. What are your thoughts. Thanks again for your care.

You are most welcome.

You had episodes of lightheadedness and fainting for small duration; but all of these clearly were due to dehydration and electrolyte derangement.

If you take care of them, I am sure, these episodes would not never recur and prevented.

A positive rating would be highly appreciated.

Is there any worry that the fainting happened getting up from a lying position rather than during exercise like athletes. Or do athletes faint getting to their feet as well.

Athletes do get fainting episodes later on also getting to their feet (not necessarily immediately after the event or activity).

No worry here, I can reassure you.

Thank you. Excellent service. Top Rating. Do you feel that I should ask for a neurologist as this is quite a specific issue or based on the circumstances, the answer would be the same given my story leading up to the faint. Thank you again

You are most welcome.

The advice is likely to be same even from neurologist.

drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia, Other