Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Second opinion] An MRI just showed an aneurysm in my mid…

Customer Question
Second opinion] An MRI...

Second opinion] An MRI just showed an aneurysm in my mid carotid artery. Follow up is being booked for a CT angiogram. Over the weekend I've developed a twitch that vacillates between my chin and my lower lip. Could this be caused by the stress of getting the MRI result on Friday afternoon or should I be more concerned?

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Initial MRI done for numbness in my legs and suddenly starting to drop items.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No swelling, just a twitch in either my chin or lip ongoing over the weekend, moreso this morning. Otherwise I feel well.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had Guillian-Barre Syndrome 4 years ago that needed IVIG and hospitalization and rehab but have been great the last 3 years except for occasional leg numbness that has increased of late. It's more just the annoyance of the chin twitching.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/18/2017
Neurologist: drphophalia, Other replied 11 months ago
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

This twitching is likely due to anxiety.

Twitching is caused by minor muscle contractions in one particular area, or the persistent and uncontrolled twitching of a muscle group in a distribution of a single nerve fiber or filament. Usually they are benign and resolve on their own, but persistent flutter may need following investigations;

1) electromyography (EMG)

2) nerve conduction velocity (NCV)

3) blood electrolytes like calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, etc

4) thyroid and parathyroid function tests

5) blood chemistry and complete metabolic profile

The common causes can be;

1) Idiopathic; no cause is ascertained and majority falls in this group.

2) Increased caffeine intake

3) Increased alcohol intake

4) Medications

5) Deficiency in diet and nutrients / minerals

6) Some neurological diseases; uncommon

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Hmmmmm, Ok, read this direct quote from an article online but thanks anyway.

Psychosomatic symptoms, life stress, current anxiety complaint, and depression can cause benign fasciculation. Please read this reference;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2812734/

It is privilege assisting you.