Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Lately my arms and hands have been going numb or randomly…

Customer Question
Lately my arms and...

Lately my arms and hands have been going numb or randomly start to ache and feel heavy. also my veins begin to pop out on top of my hand. It almost feels like they are falling asleep and i have to keep them parallel to the floor. Now i am experiencing this as well but my left arm is very warm starting at the bicep all the way down to my fingers, but my pinky and ring finger are freezing.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Shaking my arms out or elevating them helps. it comes on randomly. My health has been sub-par battling constant migraines

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Anemia and previous diagnosis of hypothyroidism

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/18/2017
Neurologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh- and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Do you have pain in neck?

Are you on any medications?

Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

I have slight discomfort in my neck. Not as severe as "sleeping on it wrong" but can definitely feel stiffness. Most pain stems from my shoulder blades down to my right hip and knee to the point where its difficult to walk.Currently taking a prenatal vitamin for my anemia and 70 mg of vyvanse
I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety but do not take medication for that anymore since january 2017.

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Well, there are few causes for such symptoms.

The common causes are- Nerve compression, cervical radiculopathy, poor blood circulation.

It can be due to Nerve root compression of cervical spine with Ulnar nerve entrapment. This causes numbness in two fingers and heaviness in arm.

It can also be due to cervical radiculopathy. It is a condition, which puts pressure on the cervical nerves . It is related with disorder of soft tissues of the neck, such as the discs, facet joints, ligaments, or muscles.

To treat this condition, you would be requiring Bracing or splinting.

Doctor may prescribe a padded brace or split to wear at night to keep elbow in a straight position.

You need to apply ice packs on cervical spine for 10-15 minutes and it can be done 3-4 times a day. You should take Motrin 400mg twice a day.
You should take adequate rest, and remain away from lifting any heavy objects. You should not work on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch.
You can use Soft Collars, as it allows the muscles of the neck to rest and limit neck motion. Physical therapy will also be helpful.

Also Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines and corticosteroid pills can be prescribed.

Along with this Nerve gliding exercises can be advised. Also ice application to affected area can be helpful.

Please use above measures, and see your primary doctor for management of this issue.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

May i help you further?

Do you need more help?

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going.

Do you need further assistance?

I am ONLINE for your help.

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to help you.

If you are done,then please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh