Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

For 3 years I've suffered with muscle jumping (twitching),

Customer Question
For 3 years I've...

For 3 years I've suffered with muscle jumping (twitching), muscle weakness, nausea, and extreme fatigue. I fall sometimes and I never know why. My balance isn't the best. I have had tremors in my hands since I was a kid but they seem to have become worse. I've also lost 30% of my body weight in the last 7 months with no changes to my eating except when the nausea is bad and I can't eat. Any ideas?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

My health is poor. I almost feel like I have the flu sometimes because I'm tired and nauseous and stiff. Doing too much like excersize and housework make it worse

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My face fell 3 years ago and my GP said my reflexes on my left side were off but I've never had any confirmation as to what happened. I also have several small lesions on my brain that I get checked yearly

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/17/2017
Neurologist: DrRussMd, Board Certified MD replied 9 months ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Have you seen a neurologist and what do they say/

I saw a neurologist years ago they said the lesions were "non specific". He was not a very good doctor. He had no answers and I opted not to see him again.

I am not sure what your question is at this point.

We do not diagnose or treat.

What are you wondering?

If you have any ideas of what it COULD be. What I should try pursuing?
Or if I even should be pursuing anything.

Anything serious after 3 years would have put you in the hospital.

You need to have the scan done again.

You said that is being followed.

Have you had a recent MRI of the brain?

in aug
Ya I didn't think it was anything serious. Though it does seem to be getting worse and my GP is very worried about the weight loss and falling.

Please type in the MRI report

I don't have a copy but there were no major changes to the lesions.

They would have had a differential diagnosis on the report with several things to consider, what were they?

demyelinating diseases. It did say that my brain was not typical for my age because of the lesions. I believe they were foci white matter lesions but I could be wrong.
They didn't do a scan with contrast with any of them.

You need to follow up with a neurologist.

This can be MS, multiple sclerosis, and the lesions do not have to change for the disease to advance physically.

Back to the neurologist for you, for sure.

Find a good one.

That is really the only test currently you have to go on, but other problems, such as hyperthyroidism, need to be ruled out.

Your doctor does not seem to be doing much in the way of work up, so I would go to the specialist.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. [This must be done manually at the top of the page]. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed

They have done blood work to rule out adrenal issues, thyroid and celiac. I've never heard of MS causing rapid weight loss
The only thing abnormal was one time my white blood cell count was low and it showed I had probable anemia
would it also cause pretty extreme heartburn?

What is your age and gender?

35 female

Have you had a scope of the esophagus and stomach?

No
My GP has sent a referral to an internist but the wait is 4-6 months

Severe esophagitis can cause heartburn and wait loss.

Stomach gastritis, ulcer or cancer can do the same.

I would go straight to GI doctor.

In any case, that is the other area of investigation.