Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having pressure in my head with lightheadness…

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having pressure in my head with lightheadness and vision issues. The pressure is mainly in the front of the face and sometimes also in the back if my head with some neck pain. I can still see when I have my vision problems, like I'm looking out of a glass. I have had it for 5 weeks now. I went to my doctor who saw water in my ear and thought i might have sinusitis (no congestion, cough or throat issues). They gave me augmentin2 825mg twice a day for 1 week and it did not help. Then sent me for a ct scan with and without dye (which I took prednisone for a possible allergy) for my sinuses and head. This came back normal. They have now sent me to a neurologist which I can't get in for another 3 weeks. This is driving my insane, I do not have any allergies that I am aware of. I am a 31 years old have have two small children. This is starting to scare me now and I do not know what I can do. I have seen an eye doctor and there seems nothing wrong with my eyes (I do not wear glasses nor contacts). Please any insight can help!!!!

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Usually all day, ranging from dull pressure teacher pressure at times

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a uti 2 weeks prior (my 1st one), which I was treated and it had went away. 

It does get worse *sometimes* when I bend my head or shake it but not always. I am also on probiotics from the augmentin because my grandmother died in her 30s of colon cancer and we have a family of weak intestines.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 day by:
9/18/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 11 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

You mentioned that you have had it for 5 weeks. Has it gotten much worse in this 5 weeks of time? And are you also experiencing any weakness in your limbs or the inability to use them?

Can you tell me what diagnosis you are scared of based on the symptoms you have been suffering with?

It was getting worse thru 4 weeks and has not been as worse the past week. Always there, dull pressure and lightheadness. At times it reappears throughout the day worse and I can't seem to even find a trigger or something I have been doing the same each time. It does seem to alleviate to a point when I am really busy but as soon as I slow down a bit it strengthens back up. At first I was scared of an anrysum (my aunt had one 4 years ago). However the scan was normal. I feel like something is going on in my body because this is extremely out the the norm. I never get headaches, period and my vision has always been great. At times I feel like i drank coffee for a straight day without food, but I understand that could be anxiety. I do not have any different feelings in my limbs.

Something is probably out of balance in your body but based on your studies I don't think it would be anything serious or life threatening. The fact that it hasn't gotten worse recently steers me away from thinking about something serious. The serious stuff usually get worse day by day.

I haven't had any blood work done. They just check my vitals which were normal as well. I had a life insurance physical done the first week I started all of this (State Farm). Everything came back good except my creatinine in my urine was below the average. Should I ask my doctor for certain tests to find out what the issue could be?

You can have some basic blood work run but I actually wouldn't spend the money on a doctor's visit yet. I think it would be premature. I would wait this out another few weeks. I have no reason to suspect something serious based on what you have told me thus far.

Is there anything I can or should do at this point?
One more thing and I promise I will stop, lol. Could the imbalance been within my kidneys or colon?
I can't think of anything they you could do at this point. I think it just is going to take some time for it to resolve on its own.
Thank you very much and I really appreciate your time with me. Have a great day!
You're welcome.

Please click on "Rating" when ready.