Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I've been experiencing constant neck pain for the past few…

Customer Question
I've been experiencing constant...

I've been experiencing constant neck pain for the past few years in which has now radiated down to my shoulder blade. There is popping, grinding, and clicking lump. I also experience a intense and extremely annoying buzzing or stinging sensation throughout the left side of my shoulder. It hurts so bad throughout the day with the littlest physical tasks that I feel it though to my chest, almost making it difficult to breathe. This triggers my anxiety as I feel I can't take a deep enough breath. It all started on my left side of my neck, with what I thought were knots but they now click and grind also and am always feeling the urge to crack my neck from side to side to relieve the tension. It was then my left shoulder blade and I now sometimes feel it straining on the right side of both my neck and right shoulder blade. It's worse on my left side and feels better to try rub this bludge out when I lift my arm above my head to get up under my shoulder blade. I also feel cracking and popping along both shoulder/upper back and neck region if I swing my arms too much when, or move to fast. It hurts to keep my posture straight. It hurts to sleep and stay comfortable. I had an X-ray earlier this month in which they told me it showed I had no curve to my neck and are doing further imaging next week but in the meantime Im just looking for some insight asides from my self researching and diagnosing from google. Do you have any idea what these clicking, agonizing lumps might be???!!

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

As I said about 3 years or so, give or take. Any physical activity from housework to lighting my 9 month old

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've been diagnosed with hyper mobility, fibromyalgia and am being watched for the on set of arthritis forming

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/16/2017
Neurologist: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 8 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

Should note that the buzzing/stinging sensation is what I began to notice first. At times it hits me so suddenly and hard it feels like an electric shock is being sent from my body causes me to jerk, shrug my shoulders repeatedly, or if I throw my arm back bent with my elbow facing behind me I'm able to somewhat feel my shoulder blade pop which all subsides the buzzing for about 5-10 minutes at a time

besides the X-ray, have you had any other tests done?
Have you seen a physical therapist yet?

Not yet. I'll have an MRI the 21st. And yes I've done the physical therapy route multiple times, multiple different locations/companies as well as even resulting to a chiropractor
The last physical therapist recommended deep tissue massages which do help temporarily, but are becoming not worth the price at this point due to lack significant relief

has anyone mentioned "trigger points" or "myofascial release" to you?

Not that I can recall
Actually yes trigger points I've heard before from the chiropractor

that would explain the "knots" and the pain you are experiencing.

thats causing them to grind and click??

yes, because muscles aren't moving properly, you get the grinding, popping, clicking and pain

let me get a link to a book I recommend patients. Hold on a moment...

the buzzing sensation?

local nerve irritation as well.

This is the best book I've found for patients that explains it all: Trigger Point Therapy Workbook

And here's another website that also helps explain it here

Will this show on the MRI?

No. MRI will rule out cervical disc herniation as the source of your symptoms

But trigger points in the muscle don't show up on MRI. Its a clinical diagnosis, so a good physical therapist or sports medicine physician can feel them and they do cause pain when palpated?

Does that make sense?

Absolutely and as I'm reading I can relate to some of the symptoms of trigger points, but several that I can't say that I do. The doctor who's done the X-ray and MRI is an Orthopedic Surgeon at a practice called Elite Sports Medicine. Speaking of discs, Degenerate Disc Disease runs strong in my family, as my mom being the most recent diagnosed. We all see the same family doctor who refers us out so I guess that is just my concern, as my mom says the "knots" feel the same as hers do. What do you mean as in palpated?

palpation = to touch or feel on exam

I would find a Physical Therapist or Chiropractor that has training in Active Release Technique, which is a manual or myofascial release technique that you might find helpful.

you might notice some true improvement in your condition and not need surgery

does that help answer your question?

To some extent, I guess so. However it doesn't just hurt when palpated. It's a constant dull ache that I almost feel through to my chest wall, on top of the buzzing and stinging

well, would recommend that you consider getting the book and seeing if the exercises and stretches in it give you some relief. I have found it to be very effective for a lot of patients that haven't been able to get relief otherwise. Not saying that it helps everyone, it doesn't, but I think based on your description of your symptoms that you would benefit.

Also not sure if this matters but Im nearly 9months post partum. These symptoms slowly came on when I was waiting tables and working 12 hour shifts for 4 days at a time and long before conceiving. The pregnancy definitely didn't help matters, however I'm in more pain now and ever before than I was throughout my pregnancy, as that was rough itself. The doctor I see who that specializes in Arthritis doesn't recommend I have more children.. As pregnancy generally causes your muscles to relax as is, with my hyper mobility and already loser ligaments I was having muscle spasms in my SI, and my hips would lock up throughout the night if I laced on one side for more than an hour or two at a time, as I couldn't lay on my back, nor either side and I was put on bed rest at 4 months pregnant, when it was miserable to even try to do that!!! The buzzing began around 3 month PP when I was sitting up nursing. And it almost felt like it was stemming from the same spot my epidural was placed. Yet I took to it fine, had an easy labor and hardly felt a thing. Imaging has been put off due to pregnancy and nearly a year later because of nursing. I also didn't seek much for this during that time because I knew my options were so limited and it was tolerable. It is now to the point where it's not. I plan to see what this MRI does pertain, if anything, that is. And from go from there. I plan to look into that book regardless! I think it'll help my mom and myself tremendously
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)