Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I am having very sharp left shoulder pain for four days, it…

Customer Question
Hi, my name is*****...

Hi, my name is***** am having very sharp left shoulder pain for four days, it comes and goes constant, it feels as if it is something inside, because under my left breast there is pain too, and when I put my neck down it hurts as well. I have appointment next week, but I wonder if I should wait. It does not feel like my heart. It's like a stabbing pain, there 24/7. No I didn't fall or do anything to cause it. I just don't know what to do

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?

No, shoulder blade, hurts right under it

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

In 2010 I had chest pains, went to e.r. and it was cardiomyopathy, and was resolved. I walk often and work out at curves. I did nothing to cause this, like lifting or stretching. It is so annoying. Tylenol I have taken, nut much help

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/15/2017
Neurologist: drphophalia, Other replied 11 months ago
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Hello Kathy,

Your shoulder pain, pain left breast and pain in neck on moving it down are likely due to;

1) Cervical spondylosis.

2) Degenerative disc disease of neck.

These can cause pinched nerves in neck.

Following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the neck spine and shoulder

2) MRI of the neck

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

2) Cervical Collar or Brace

3) Cervical traction

4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in whom pain is quite significant.

6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.

7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound.

8) Hot fomentation

9) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

You can consult following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

Having said that; it is necessary for the precaution that you get an EKG, chest x-ray and echocardiography too for these symptoms and because of your past medical history.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl