Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have a numb feeling along my jaw line and up around my…

Customer Question
I have a numb feeling...
I have a numb feeling along my jaw line and up around my ear, I get pain in the temple area, my jaw hurts if I talk too much, the numb feeling is on the right side and my right eye tears a lot.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)

Are you having any problems with your vision?

My right eye feel pressure my not a vision issue. I do have a lot of tearing.
I do not want to switch to a phone call.
The numb feeling comes and goes.

What triggers these symptoms? Is there any pattern to them?

Not really. I sit a lot for work and am wondering could this be a nerve or disc issue. My shoulders and neck tend to feel stiff.

No this would not be a cervical spine issue or disc problem as it involves the face, which is innervated by the cranial nerves coming off the brainstem. I think you should ask your doctor to check your sed rate (ESR) and C-reactive protein (CRP) to make sure you do not have temporal arteritis, an inflammatory condition of the main artery in the temple region. It can cause such symptoms and is a danger to your vision on the affected side. If negative, you would want to see a neurologist to be evaluated for a trigeminal cephalgia syndrome (a painful condition involving the trigeminal nerve (cranial nerve 5), which supplies sensation to the side of the head and the face.

Is there a possibility the could be TMJ?

Yes, of course, and your doctor can look for this by getting a panorex x-ray of the jaw. He can also refer you to ENT for further evaluation of this. You might need a bite block if you grind your teeth at night, and a soft diet if chewing makes your symptoms worse. There are also medications to treat this. It should not cause tearing of your eye, however.

My eyes have been tearing for years. No sure it's related.

I see. In that case, you might want to see an eye doctor to see if it is unrelated. This would make TMJ more likely and an ENT referral more helpful!

I'm going to get the tests done anyway. This has gone on too long and I'm tired of the strange feelings it causes. If the tests are negative I move on to the TMJ possibility. The numb feeling is frightening. It's not numb to the touch. Just strange and the pain right at the top of the jaw by my cheek bone and ear is bothersome. The tightness goes to the back of my head as well.

I would agree with this approach, as your description does have a "neuralgia" feel to it. In the meantime, see if you can get a panorex to look at the TMJ joint on both sides (you can use the joint on the other side for comparison). It is an easy test to do. See a dentist also, if you haven't already, as they can fashion you a bite block to protect the jaw at night. Stick to a soft diet for now, and avoid chewing gum (stresses out the jaw joint). You might also ask your doctor for a muscle relaxer (e.g flexeril, ativan) to reduce tension in the muscles that attach to the jaw (as well as those along the side and back of the head).

Hi Jackie. How are you feeling today? Do you have any follow up questions for me?

Let me know if you do and I would be happy to help further.

Doctor-Bob

When you have no more questions, please don't forget to provide a positive rating.

This is the only way physician-experts get credit for the time they spend helping patients.

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)