Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

I had a leg stent in my leg almost 2 years ago. From the

Customer Question

I had a leg stent in my leg almost 2 years ago. From the first I have be suffering with groin pain and now I cannot walk without a rollator. Could this because of nerve damage?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: The stent was after a knee replacement for swelling in foot. This was to correct swelling,which it did not. Was told to take Plavix and asprin. I started vaginal bleeding and was told to stop Plavix and see my primary care doctor. I did and she gave me Lasix. It took down swelling in 2 days. BBThe bleeding stopped but I still have severe groin pain and now numbness in toes.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Received cortisone and lidocaine shots because of back pain. Shots helped back pain,but not groin pain.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually you are correct, this pain can certainly be due to nerve damage in the region OR even due to compression of the nerves in the back which can even cause groin pain. Sometimes the nerves may be damaged due to compression and that in turn can commonly cause groin pain which may worsen on walking or even sitting down. The numbness in the foot is also likely to be due to the condition. the injections in the back would reduce inflammation in the area but they may not help the pain due to nerve compression in other regions of the lower body. The best way to determine the cause here would be to get a NCS/EMG test done which can be diagnostic here. Once that is done we can consider various medications to control the pain, these can include drugs like lyrica or neurontin which target the nerves directly. if that does not work then we can consider bvarious procedures including,

Radiofrequency ablation

TENS therapy which uses a device to control the pain due to nerves

Diathermy therapy

Ultrasound therapy

Laser therapy (Cold laser therapy or Low Level Laser Therapy)

Interferential therapy - a type electrotherapy

TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) – another type of electrotherapy

COOLIEF Cooled Radiofrequency treatment

Calmare Scrambler Pain therapy (medical device)

Iontophoresis

I would suggest trhat you discuss these options with your doctor or a pain management specialist.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.