Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I cut my finger between the thumb and the next finger, it is…

Customer Question
I cut my finger...

I cut my finger between the thumb and the next finger, it is tender but no true pain. I can not bend my thumb the way I use to, do you think it is from cutting it?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

I only had the pain when I cut it and there really is no pain. My concern is my limited use of bending the thumb.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/14/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD) replied 11 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)

Hi Mary. Is the thumb, finger or area between them swollen?

no

Are you able to make a fist?

If you are not able to make a fist or fully bend your thumb, you may have cut or injured a tendon that attaches a muscle to the bones of the digit. This is a serious injury as it does not heal on its own. Without proper repair, you might permanently lose function in the finger. I would suggest you have this evaluated by your doctor or a hand specialist (usually an orthopedic surgeon). This would be the best way to insure a good recovery from your injury.

Hello. How's your hand today? Do you have any follow up questions for me?

Let me know if you do and I would be happy to help further.

If you have no more questions, a positive rating would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Doctor-Bob