Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My son has been having head pains on the left side of the…

Customer Question
My son has been...

My son has been having head pains on the left side of the top of his head for a very long time. I have had numerous CY scans and Mri s which showed nothing wrong. He has problems looking up or down quickly and loud noises hurts his head. He is 35 years old and this has been going on for the last 25 years. When he was younger we would go roller coasters but the can't take any pressure. He can't walk unless he has several pairs of shoe cushions since that hurts his head

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Daily, no nausea but he does get dizzy.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He also has Excessive OCD

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/14/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD) replied 9 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)

Hi there. Given the duration of your son's symptoms and the normal scans, you would not have to worry about this being a dangerous neurological condition. It is likely part of his OCD, perhaps another "infinite loop" of worry or pre-occupation that has become "normalized' for him. I would suggest you ask his doctor, or a neurologist, about trying gabapentin. This is a nerve stabilizer that is also used as an adjunct for treating some cases of OCD. It can be used in conjunction with other OCD medications. It also is used for treating chronic nerve-related pain and headaches, which are a component of your son's condition. It may, in other words, work in more than one way to help him.