Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My legs,my knees,my feet,my toes are all stiff I can hadly…

Customer Question
My legs,my knees,my feet,my...

My legs,my knees,my feet,my toes are all stiff I can hadly move,whats wrong with me?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

My feet are swollen,its hard to get out of chair.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Bad circulation, just had carpal tunnel surgury on both hands in May

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/13/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 8 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health situation as you have described above. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First I need to ask few questions so that I can gather more information related to your health concerns and I will follow up with you and post my questions here ASAP. I am typing the questions now and I will follow up with you as soon as I am ready with my questions.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Kindly answer to these questions, this will help me in gathering additional information related to your health concerns;

1) How old are you?

2) Approximately for how long are you having these symptoms?

3) Have you had experienced similar symptoms in the past or is this the first time ever?

4) Are you also having any additional symptoms like fever, loss of weight, skin rashes, joint swelling, numbness, pins and needle sensation or weakness in the legs, lower back pain, discoloration of the legs, increased or decreased temperature in the legs, new onset bowel or bladder disturbances etc?

5) Have you already seen a doctor for this issue, and have you had any tests/medical investigations done already? If yes, kindly provide me with the report of these tests

6) What are your current treatments? And what are the treatments you have already tried other than your current treatments?

7) Any history of long term & heavy alcohol drinking or cigarette smoking?

8) Do you have any already diagnosed medical health conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, or any other?

Kindly reply

Best Regards!

Hi, I had earlier posted above few questions so that I can gather additional information related to your health concerns. It is possible you are encountering some technical glitches to access this site properly or you may be not in a position to reply, so what I will do is post an initial answer here based on the amount of information I have received through your initial question here, please go through it when your time permits & when you can, and please get back to me if you want to discuss this further.

Once again I am sorry to hear your health situation in the form of various symptoms you are having as you have mentioned above.

Please see there are several underlying health conditions that can cause the types of symptoms you are having as mentioned below;

Rheumatological or autoimmune connective tissue disorders

Severe forms of osteoarthritis

Nutritional deficiencies like low protein in the blood

Certain vitamin deficiencies like B12 or folate deficiency

Endocrine disorders like thyroid diseases

Anemia related conditions

Certain types of infections

Heart, lung, kidney or liver diseases

Fibromyalgia syndrome

Polymyalgia rheumatica

Changes in the electrolytes in the blood

Obstruction to the venous blood flow in the legs or pelvis/Circulation disorders

Peripheral neuropathies (primary conditions affecting the peripheral nerves)

Myopathies (primary conditions affecting the muscles) etc

I am not telling all these above possibilities are applicable in your case, I am trying to provide you with a list like this because these are the various possibilities we see in our clinic when someone presents with the type of symptoms you have mentioned above

This needs to be further evaluated and investigated to find out the precise cause for these symptoms. In this regard you may try to see your doctors in the clinic, preferably a neurologist so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination in the clinic followed by certain relevant neurological investigations too that may include the following;

MRI scan of the spine

X ray of the joints

Blood tests including ESR, CRP, ANA, RA factor, Anti Ro, Anti La, thyroid tests, Serum complements, RPR, Lyme antibodies etc

EMG/Nerve conduction study for the legs and back – which is a nerve & muscle test

Doppler Ultrasound of the legs etc

And any other tests as necessary and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results

In the meantime you may try one or more of the following treatments that can help you with getting relief from the severe symptoms you have been suffering from;

Keeping the legs in elevated position as much as possible to help in reducing the swelling

Elastic compressors to the legs

Heat or Cold therapy in the form of Heat pads or hot compress, cold compress or cold packs etc (overall cold therapy is better for the swelling, whereas for the pain & stiffness heat therapy is usually better)

Using one of the over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killers such as Naproxen (Aleve) or Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) etc

Using one of the over the counter locally acting creams or sprays of anti-inflammatory pain killers (Muscle rubs) like Myoflex or Biofreeze etc

Epsom Salt Compress or Epsom Salt Soaking, or Epsom Salt Bath can help too

Massage Therapy is another treatment that is very useful to treat these types of symptoms

Gentle strengthening & gentle stretching exercises of the leg & back muscles – provided you are able to do it & tolerate it now, otherwise to not to try this immediately now, you may try this when you start feeling better

If symptoms do not improve with the above treatment measures then one or more of the following additional treatment measures can be considered;

Physical therapy

Hydrotherapy

Trigger point therapy (if any trigger points are present)

Stronger prescription anti-inflammatory painkillers like Tramadol

Nerve-pain pills like Gabapentin, or Amitriptyline

Muscle relaxants like Baclofen, or Tizanidine

A course of oral steroids

Steroid Iontophoresis

Narcotic pain killer like Lortab or Percocet

Hot fomentation

Short wave diathermy

Infra-red light therapy

Ultrasound therapy

TENS (Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation)

Interferential therapy etc

I am not telling all these above mentioned treatments are required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with various treatment options that are available for your condition and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried. And also please try to see a Dr, preferably a neurologist in the clinic so that you can receive a thorough examination in the clinic followed by the above mentioned investigations and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results.

To summarize once again;

1) Please see there are several different health conditions that can cause the types of symptoms you are having

2) The examples of such conditions include as mentioned in the above list

3) Please try to see a neurologist in the clinic so that this can be thoroughly evaluated/examined & investigated further to find out the precise cause for these symptoms

4) In the meantime please try one or more of the above mentioned treatments to help in reducing the various symptoms you are having including pain, stiffness, swelling, and other symptoms

5) Please see this type of health situation or health condition can be diagnosed and successfully treated, so please not to be scared or not to lose hopes, please try to see a neurologist asap and try to undergo a thorough neurological examination & neurological investigations as discussed above and then treated appropriately for the best results.

Please go through the above answer which is based on what information I had gathered from your original question. If you want to discuss this further or if you need any additional clarifications please reply to me, and also please try to provide me the additional information I had requested earlier through the questions I had posted above, and I am available here for further discussions until you are satisfied. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)