Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I injured in my upper back myself working out at the gym. I…

Customer Question
I injured in my...

I injured in my upper back myself working out at the gym. I saw a doctor a few days later and he told me that he thought I had torn some tendons and ligaments near C7. That was 6 weeks ago though and I still have weakness in my right tricep and pectoral muscles. I also still have some pain in the neck but I'm worried that the weakness will be permanent due to nerve damage. Is this possible?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?

No numbness or tingling, just weakness. Neck pain has been present from the beginning.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've been talking naproxen (prescribed by the aforementioned doctor). But nothing else comes to mind.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/11/2017
Neurologist: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 11 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

The weakness at this point may be due to a ruptured disk in you cervical spine that's pressing on a nerve root

You need an MRI of the cervical spine to check for that

But usually that isn't a surgical problem and it responds to physical therapy and doesn't result in permanent nerve damage

Please let me know if you need any more information