Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I injured in my upper back myself working out at the gym. I

Customer Question

I injured in my upper back myself working out at the gym. I saw a doctor a few days later and he told me that he thought I had torn some tendons and ligaments near C7. That was 6 weeks ago though and I still have weakness in my right tricep and pectoral muscles. I also still have some pain in the neck but I'm worried that the weakness will be permanent due to nerve damage. Is this possible?
JA: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: No numbness or tingling, just weakness. Neck pain has been present from the beginning.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've been talking naproxen (prescribed by the aforementioned doctor). But nothing else comes to mind.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 1 month ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

The weakness at this point may be due to a ruptured disk in you cervical spine that's pressing on a nerve root

You need an MRI of the cervical spine to check for that

But usually that isn't a surgical problem and it responds to physical therapy and doesn't result in permanent nerve damage

Please let me know if you need any more information