Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Medical Physician
98629655

I had a first fainting spell in July and My husband called

Customer Question

I had a first fainting spell in July and My husband called paramedics and took me to emergency. After 24 hours of testings, they found nothing wrong, but only reported from the MRI they did that I have a small (dime-sized) cyst on my pituitary gland. Now I get an appointment and there seems to be no Dr. Utul, (name of neurologist I saw) but there is a Dr. Corinne Hohl who first ordered another MRI. So 2 questions: 1) how serious is a small cyst on my pituitary gland, 2) why can't I make an appointment when I already had one but had to cancel because I will be on a business trip during the time originally set. Susan Paul,***@******.***
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: No medications, except allergy pills each morning, and I saw a Dr. Corinne Hohl at the hospital in Kitsalano in July.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, but I stubbed two toes previously broken in 2014, and have them wrapped and tyr to ice as often as possible. My general doctor said to keep foot up for 6 weeks and I am on week 3 now. Anyway, we would not have found the cyst on my pituitary gland if my husband had not panicked because I have never fainted before. I am 67 and so is he, and he felt so terrible to see my faint in public (restaruant) that he panicked.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Doctor John MD replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

Sorry to hear about the fainting spell. I can understand how your husband felt scared, but calling the paramedics was the right thing to do.

Are you having any symptoms such as headaches, dizziness or change in vision?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No symptoms. No changes in vision.

glad to hear. did they say how large the cyst was on the pituitary in mm or cm?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thanks. I am disgusted with this whole process. I cannot find both the doctors who ordered the MRI and when I called the same clinic where I was originally scheduled for a 2nd MRI they are now telling me I never had an appoiintment there. Either they are nuts, or keep no record of canceled appointments with new patients!

sorry to hear about your frustrations. Did they do the MRI while you were in the Emergency Department, or did you have to go back later to get the MRI?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They did one there, at the hospital in Kitsalano. Dr. Corinne Hohl was the doctor who ordered the first MRI. And because of my husband's panic, I got 5 hours of sleep in 48. I was miserable not because of the tests themselves, but because it took so long and I lost a lot of sleep.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now I cannot seem to find a way to get a seocnd MRI sceduled and I am wondering why I really need to.

Ok, do you recall if Dr Holt was the Emergency Room doctor, or was she a consultant that the ER physician asked to see you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not sure, but I believe she was the doctor who was asked by ER to follow up with me. She definitely ordered all the tests -EKG, CT Scan, and first MRI of my life.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am reading the second doctor's name. It looks like Utul but I suppose it could be Uterl.

Ok. My thought is that Dr Holt was the emergency department doctor since she ordered all those tests.
They would have recommended that you follow up with a neurologist or a neurosurgeon because of the cyst on the pituitary.
The second MRI was recommended since it would show if there was any change in size of the cyst since the first MRI back in July. If there was change in the size of the cyst, the neurologist or neurosurgeon would make treatment recommendations based on the change in size

Do you have a regular primary care physician as well?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks. But I cannot find the second doctor, even though I saw him at the Rapid Access Neurology Clinic at VAncouver Coastal Health. Utul or Uterl or I don't know cuz so many doctors have very unclear writing!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
or maybe the doctor is Merl ?

I would recommend contacting your primary care physician then. They should be able to help locate which doctor you were referred to and help with scheduling your follow up appointment.

Did my response fully answer your question?

If so, I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

I did a little research and it looks like you might have been seen at the Acute Neurology Clinic (also called the Rapid Access Acute Neurology Clinic). Was is located at the Diamond Health Care Centre in Laurel Street in Vancouver?

is that the correct clinic?

Hi, its Doctor John. Were you able to schedule a follow up appointment at the Neurology clinic?