Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

81 years active alert suffering with an slow decrease in…

Customer Question
Edward 81 years...

Edward 81 years active alert suffering with an slow decrease in ability to walk .Seems to be spinal related .

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Moved from Twin Waters where was climbing Mt Coolum at least twice weekly in 2016 to Gympie.GP Barrie Whelan at Mt Coolum has suggested could be Sciatic Nerve. No specific medication. Did some exercises supervised by local physio.

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

Available.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Active lifestyle. Horse riding . Ag bike riding. Cannot do sustained walking . Brief sit down restores use of legs. Balance is restored.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/11/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 9 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health situation in the form of slow decrease in ability to walk, or to do sustained walking. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First I need to ask few questions so that I can gather more information related to your health concerns and I will follow up with you and post my questions here ASAP. I am typing the questions now and I will follow up with you as soon as I am ready with my questions.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Kindly answer to these questions, this will help me in gathering additional information related to your health concerns;

1) Approximately for how long are you having difficulty with walking like this?

2) Are you also having any other symptoms like back pain, numbness or pins and needle feeling in the legs, weakness feeling in the legs, incoordination with the legs, new onset bladder or bowel disturbances, memory loss, tremors (shaking) of the arms or legs etc?

3) Have you already seen a doctor for this issue, and have you had any tests/medical investigations done already? If yes, kindly provide me with the report of these tests

4) What are your current treatments? And what are the treatments you have already tried other than the exercises/physical therapy?

5) Do you have any already diagnosed medical health conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, thyroid, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, or any other?

Kindly reply

Best Regards!

Hi Edward, have you received the questions I have posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches to reply to me. If you require more time it is perfectly fine and I will wait here. Kindly try to reply to the above questions when you can, and I can certainly help you with your health concerns regarding the health symptoms related to the difficulties with walking you have mentioned above.

Best Regards!

Hi Edward, I am waiting here to help you with your health questions/health concerns you have expressed above related to the difficulty with walking. Are you still looking for help? If so - are you able to see the questions I have posted above? Or are there any technical glitches preventing you from replying to me? Please let me know.

Or are there any other types of issues you are encountering? If this is related to payment related issues - please see your money is always safe with Just Answer Company; if you are facing any issues related to charging your account or any other money related issues you are facing then please contact the Company directly and they will help you in resolving the issue. There is a 100% money back guarantee by the Company - so if you are not satisfied with the answer you receive here - then you can always ask for refund.

If you do not follow up and let me know what the issue is then I will not be in a position to assist you in anyway, so please try to follow up with me and let me know the reason for not replying to my earlier posted questions and I can certainly help you with guiding you in the right direction - if you are still looking for help with your health questions then I can answer these health questions for you, and/or if you are encountering any technical glitches or any money or payment related issues, or any account related issues, or any other site related issues then also I can guide you in the right direction, so please try to reply.

Best Regards!

1 .4 years 2.No back pain/numbness/ leg weakness/incordination spasmodic only/bowel /bladder seem okay. No memory loss No tremors.3, Consulted GP and have regular pathology annually..4.. /5 Expert diagnosis opinion could be obtained from Brisbane Specialists.

Okay I see. I appreciate for all these additional information. I am preparing & typing my answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready. Typing may take few minutes and I will follow up with you and post my answer here the moment I finish with the typing.

Best Regards!

I am almost done with my typing I will follow up with you very soon.

Best Regards!

Okay Edward I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

Yes, I agree this could be coming from spine, and this may also be due to sciatica that is causing this difficulty with walking you have been having

There are certain other possibilities too that need to be explored that can explain the type of difficulty with walking you are having and examples for such conditions include the following;

Neuropathies (primary nerve conditions in the legs)

Myopathies (primary muscle conditions in the legs)

Cerebellar conditions

Thyroid diseases

Chronic Vitamin deficiencies etc

I am not telling all these above possibilities are applicable in your case, I am trying to provide you with a list like this because these are the various possibilities we see in our clinic when someone presents with the type of symptoms you have mentioned above

This needs to be further evaluated and investigated to find out the precise cause for this manifestation. In this regard you may try to see a neurologist in the clinic so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination in the clinic followed by certain relevant neurological investigations too - that may include an MRI scan of the spine (focusing on the spinal cord, spinal nerves, disc etc), possibly an MRI scan of the brain, an EMG/Nerve conduction study of the legs - which is a nerve & muscle test that is used to check for pinched spinal nerves, sciatica, neuropathy, myopathy etc–, certain specific blood tests, and any other tests as necessary and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results.

In the meantime please continue with aggressive physical therapy as before. Once precise diagnosis is made with the above systematic approach appropriate & specific treatments will be started, and till then please continue with physical therapy

Once again I concur with you, this could be spine condition/sciatica etc, but we need to explore the various other possibilities as mentioned above too. And please see the presence of above mentioned symptom (slow decrease in ability to walk, and difficulty with sustained walking etc) do not automatically point towards some serious health conditions, in fact there are many benign non-serious health conditions too can cause these type of symptoms. This type of health condition can be diagnosed & successfully treated, so please not to be scared. An early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick & complete cure, so please try to get this further evaluated and investigated asap through the involvement of a neurologist – as mentioned above - for the best results!

Wishing you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

May require phone contact.

Hi, I am sorry I am not in a position to do the phone service due to certain technical constraints. If you have received any phone call request on your screen - please see it is an automated message from the system and you may please ignore it. The answer you will receive from me to your health concerns/health questions is quality & quantity wise going to be the same - whether we use the text & chat format like this one we are now currently using, OR we use the phone service. In other words you will receive top-notch answer from me through this text & chat format too. If you have further questions please let me know and I will be happy to answer them for you until you are fully satisfied.

Best Regards!

Hi Edward, Do you have any additional questions? Do you want to discuss this further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!