Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I was in a car accident on Thursday night, I was rear-ended…

Customer Question
Hi, I was in...

Hi, I was in a car accident on Thursday night, I was rear-ended pretty hard, and I don't know exactly what I hit my head on, but there's a nice sized bump on the lower left side on the back of my head, so I took some ibuprofen and iced it. I didn't think it was anything serious, and I honestly still don't know if it is, but my head still hurts fairly badly. My entire head feels almost swollen and occasionally I'll get flare ups of sharp pain in my temples or the back of my head, I have to take ibuprofen every once in a while to calm it down and I've been extremely fatigued. Is that normal, or should I be concerned?

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

Daily I suppose, it's pretty constant. A little nausea, but only during flare ups

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing relevant to this

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/10/2017
Neurologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Any episode of vomiting after this head injury in car accident?

Any drowsiness or blurry vision?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The bump or swelling that may appear after a head injury is the result of the scalp's veins leaking fluid or blood into (and under) the scalp. It may take days or even a week to disappear.

The headache & swelling you are feeling is quite normal.This may takes few days to go away.

Watch for the following symptoms: If any the following symptoms appear, then you need to go to ER: Vomiting more than once , Confusion , Drowsiness , Weakness or inability to walk,severe headache,loss of consciousness, Nausea that doesn't go away.

If you do not have these symptoms,then you need to wait & watch. Continue to apply ice & take tab.Acetaminophen 500 mg from your pharmacy to get relief from pain & headache.It is safer then ibuprofen.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh