Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Fell on my arm and hyperextended elbow after throwing a

Customer Question
football. My arm went numb...
Fell on my arm and hyperextended elbow after throwing a football. My arm went numb immediately for a few minutes and couldn't straighten arm. No swelling or bruising, but a little stiff. Can straighten arm now. Having dull pain on and off for 2 days, but is sore after using it.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/9/2017
Neurologist: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 11 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Where is the pain located now?

Top of forearm between wrist and elbow
It comes and goes.

And what part of your arm went numb?

Whole arm for 5 minutes then elbow was
Sore

Any problem with the shoulder right now?

No shoulder pain

OK

The numbness was from a pinched nerve in the shoulder area but nothing serious since it's gone now and there's no shoulder problem

Sounds like you've got a little tendonitis in your forearm

I'd suggest some topical over the counter capsaicin cream, rest and ibuprofen for now but it should resolve in a few days

Please let me know if you need any more information

Had tendinitis before about 2 years ago from baseball. Could it be a reinjury?

Not really a reinjury, no

More of an acute injury

How long for it to heal?

Give it about a week

Ok thank uou

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you