Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a ton of infections lately. From May to August of…

Customer Question
Hi, I have had a...
Hi, I have had a ton of infections lately. From May to August of this year, I've had COUNTLESS sinus infections, eye infections, ear infections and extreme pressure in my head.
My primary doctor's is a rheumatologist and just keeps giving me antibiotics for sinus infections. I have had pain in my chest, or in my throat, that feel almost like palpitations. They make it difficult to breathe sometimes and I have had a few anxiety attacks because of this. My doctor prescribed me an inhaler to help with this, but it did not help.
I was diagnosed with bilateral mastoiditis 16 years ago, when I was 13. Due to some neglect on my mother's part, I don't think this was ever resolved.
I have experienced some very intense and debilitating brain fog over the last several months. Two weeks ago, I was very frustrated wth my doctors because I knew there was something bigger going on, so I took matters into my own hands. I completely changed my diet and starting taking supplements to get healthy. I cut out most sugar, and all carbs, alcohol and caffeine. I feel as if I have regained a significant amount of my cognitive ability since then. The anxiety and chest palpitations are nearly gone. The supplements I chose focused mostly on immune system, gastro and thyroid support. My digestion has completely changed and my head has not been this clear in a very long time.
I still have pain in my head. I have managed to get rid of most of the sinus congestion (i think...) and can breathe much better. The brain fog I was experiencing was so severe, I was not aware of pain levels before, but I can definitely point them out now.
It feels like something is pushing the left side of my jaw forward from my ear. I have some jaw pain. My head is very congested and painful. I have some ringin in my ears, which has improved tremendously in the last two weeks, but it is still slightly there. I get dizzy and have problems balancing myself sometimes.
i just switched my primary doctor in hopes that I can see an ENT doctor or someone who will take me seriously. I feel like my head was so impaired for so long, doctor's didn't take me seriously. Any advice you can give me would be so greatly appreciated... I'm so tired of feeling ill...
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/8/2017
Neurologist: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 9 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

Thank you so much!

it sounds like switching to a new primary physician will be helpful for you.
I would also encourage you to continue the dietary changes. it can take 8 to 12 weeks to really notice significant changes, so its reassuring that you already notice some improvement

I would also strongly encourage you to start a regular (30 minutes a day) exercise program which should also help with the anxiety symptoms. Multiple studies have shown that regular exercise is as effective or more effective for anxiety symptoms than medications

Regular exercise will also help with your immune system as well

I am an athlete, actually. I am usually very active. I have started to exercise again now that I feel so much better, but I will admit that I was not active during the months of recurring infections

I think you'll find that restarting your exercise program along with the change in diet will have a vast improvement on your symptoms.

Did my response fully answer your question?

If so, I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

My main question was about pain in my head. Is it possible that mastoiditis can cause problems years later if it is not resolved?

Ok, sorry that I didnt answer that part. It would be unlikely for a undertreated mastoiditis to cause chronic symptoms that you are describing

Is there something else that can cause the mastoid bone to be very sensitive and painful?

some people develop trigger points or muscle spasms in the neck that can cause referred pain to the mastoid region.

I've had 4 sinus infections and 6 eye infections in the last 4 months. My ears are red and the skin behind them is also red and swollen. The left side of my face was swollen to twice the size for several months. Is there anything you can tell me that may be going on to give me some peace of mind? I am very worried and I'm in a lot of pain
I have ringing in my ears also

unfortunately, its difficult to give you a diagnosis without an exam. I would recommend that you follow up with the new primary doctor. Again, I think its reassuring that some of your symptoms have improved with the change in diet, and that you may continue to see improvements if you continue these changes.

I'm not asking for a diagnosis.
I wanted to use this service because I saw another conversation with a similar situation and answers and ideas were given... i obviously know I need to continue my diet