Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Second opinion] I have had dizzy spells for several years.

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have had dizzy spells for several years. They seem always to accompany eye allergy symptoms (discomfort in the eyes, feeling very full, at times very watery). At the same time, the sinus area usually feels pressured and congested. The big concern for me is the dizziness. Recently, it occurs when I sit up after lying down.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?

For about ten years. It seems now -- in the past three months -- to be worse than ever. The only other symptom would be fatique -- that is to say, getting tired rather quickly. Mainly, it is the odd fullness in the eyes that seems interminable and the rather frightening dizziness.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Trying to think. There is, recently, a tooth problem. An old filling needs to be attended to; it's causing considerable pain. It was a root canal from about eight years ago.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/7/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Have you consulted an ENT doctor regarding this? What investigations have been done?

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

In view of the dizziness occurring when you sit up after lying down the suspected cause is postural hypotension that is a low blood pressure occurring due to change of position. Normally the low blood pressure is not detected by routine examination and a special test has to be done by your doctor to detect this. Another suspected cause is an inner ear disorder and for this, you should consult an ENT specialist. With treatment of the condition after diagnosis, your symptoms will resolve and you will no longer have the dizziness.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

Dear customer,

Thank you!