Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I had a stroke in January of 2016. I was in inpatient and

Customer Question

I had a stroke in January of 2016. I was in inpatient and then outpatient rehab for about 5 months. The neurologist I was assigned in the hospital diagnosed my condition but did not support me in anything else. I had a stroke and indicators that I had had three others before I was not aware of. I had a few bouts of afib in the past, and wondered if that was the cause. I also have chronic high blood pressure (genetic) and have been on meds for it since I was in my thirties. I am 75 years old now. I was assigned a cardiologist in the hospital who was excellent, and I have been going to her since then. I had a stroke that affected my left side...arm and leg but no problems cognitively or with speech. My cardiologist is caring for me with blood pressure meds, a statin drug and Eliquis. My numbers are very good. I tried another neurologist and he was totally not helpful. all he offered was a sleep clinic which found I do not have sleep apnea and group sessions where he told us what foods to eat to prevent another stroke. He gave me referrals for more physical therapy and after my own research for help in getting a neuromuscular stimulation device. I still have foot drop and lately my arches and calf muscles are spasming more and becoming more painful. He told me to stretch. I do, but the spasms are pulling my toes out of line. I know I need more treatment. I have always been active, but now my limp is giving me pain in both hips and I have started having headaches. I think I need a different neurologist and another treatment plan. What do you think?
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: The headache is episodic and I usually but not always have nausea with it.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My mother died at 63 of a heart attack after years of treatment for rheuumatoid arthritis and my father died 68 of a cerebral hemmorage after years of vascular problems. He was a heavy smoker and drank daily. My mother did not. My only sibling has heart issues...had a triple bypass at age 40 and stents since. She does not have high blood pressure but she has high cholestrol. I never had hi choleresterol before...always had extremely high good cholesterol, so no drs thought I needed statins. My sister is a heavy smoker, but I have never smoked, always exercised and ate healthy. I am 5'5" and weigh 133 pounds...more than I did before my stroke, but I am not obese. I drink occasionally...a glass of wine maybe 2 times a week. Have had one child. Have had a lumpectomy and breast biopsy in the past...neither were malignant. Have had a hysterectomy. No real health issues except the hi blood pressure and the afib occurrences...3 times over a period of about 15 years.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry you had a stroke

afib of your heart can cause a stroke.

afib increases your risks for blood clots in your heart spreading to your brain.

where you on a blood thinner like coumadin when you had afib to help decrease your chance of a blood clot?