Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I noticed a sporatic burning in my left shin. When I touch…

Customer Question
I noticed a sporatic...

I noticed a sporatic burning in my left shin. When I touch the area, it appears to be the bone that burts. What should I do?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

For a few hours or so. The left leg and foot are swollen, since my spinal surgery.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Neurology
9/6/2017
Neurologist: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 5 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I am sorry to hear about your health situation. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

First I need to ask few questions so that I can gather more information related to your health concerns and I will follow up with you and post my questions here ASAP. I am typing the questions now and I will follow up with you as soon as I am ready with my questions.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Kindly answer to these questions, this will help me in gathering additional information related to your health concerns;

1) Have you ever experienced similar burning sensation before or is this the first time?

2) Any recent injuries to the shin area?

3) Is there any swelling in the shin area or any local elevated temperature or local discoloration etc in the shin are?

4) What are your current treatments? And what are the treatments you have already tried other than your current treatments to help with this burning sensation?

Kindly reply

Best Regards!

1) no
2) I do not think so
3) a little spot about an inch or 2 above the burning. Also, the burning is sporatic.
4) none

Okay I see. I appreciate for all these additional information. I am preparing & typing my answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready. Typing may take few minutes and I will follow up with you and post my answer here the moment I finish with the typing.

Best Regards!

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

First of all I want to reassure you this type of symptom is most likely not secondary to any serious underlying health issues and this symptom is expected to resolve soon. But if this persists then you need investigations, especially an x ray of the shin bone, since it appears the pain is coming from the shin bone itself.

In the meantime you may try one or more of the following treatments to help with getting relief from this burning sensation;

A) General measures & OTC (Over the counter) treatments;

Adequate rest for few days, avoiding straining the affected leg (which will help with healing process)

Cold therapy (Icing or Cold compress etc) -for the first about 2 to 3 days

Heat therapy (Heating pad or Hot compress etc) – if the burning sensation persists after couple of days then to preferably start using heat therapy in place of cold therapy

Epsom salt compress

Locally acting creams or sprays of anti-inflammatory pain killers such as Myoflex or Biofreeze etc – all the available as over the counter preparations

Oral anti-inflammatory Pain killers such as Tylenol, or Naproxen (Aleve) or Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) etc – all the available as over the counter preparations

Gentle massaging of the affected area etc

B) If the above general measures & OTC treatments do not sufficiently help then you may try one or more of the prescription pills such as;

Tramadol

Gabapentin

Pregabalin etc

C) If none of the above measures & treatments help then certain additional treatments as mentioned below can also be considered;

Hot fomentation

Short wave diathermy

Infra-red light therapy

Ultrasound therapy

TENS

Interferential therapy

Laser therapy (Cold laser therapy) etc

I am not telling all these above mentioned treatments are required in your case; I am trying to provide a list of the various treatment options like this so that you are familiar with various treatment options that are available for your condition and you may try to use them as necessary. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and you may explore the treatment options which you may have not yet tried.

This does not appear secondary to any serious underlying health condition and this is expected to resolve soon, but if this persists then please try to see your dr so that you can receive a thorough examination in the clinic followed by certain relevant investigations such as X ray of the shin area etc - as mentioned earlier above, and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results, and in the meantime you may try one or more of the above mentioned treatments to help with getting relief from this burning sensation. And I also reassure you, this does not appear any kind of serious condition or any permanent damage etc, this condition can be successfully treated & resolved, so please not to be scared.

Wishing & reassuring you a quick & complete recovery! And also Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, Do you have any additional questions? Do you want to discuss this further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Hi, How are you feeling now? I hope you are feeling better. All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

And please do not forget to kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. And the rating will not incur any separate charges to you.

The rating area (stars) is supposed to be at the top part of the question, if you do not see the rating area you may scroll the page up or down to see it, or try to refresh the page. If you are still not able to see the rating area (stars), or encountering any other technical glitches please let me know and I can bring it to the notice of the company so that they can try to fix this technical glitch. Alternatively you may also just type in your rating in a response to this note, and the customer service will apply the rating for you.

If you have any additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Thanks & Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)