Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Have parkinsons..tremor in left arm is annoying...do not…

Have parkinsons..tremor in left...

Have parkinsons..tremor in left arm is annoying...do not want to take drugs due to side effects..wondering about

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Biogeticas ayurvedic therapy for parkinsons...main ingredient mucuna pruriens

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

My health is good..eat healthy and exercise daily..only downfall is enjoy red wine...

8/23/2017
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have parkinsons and you are wondering whether the ayurvedic therapy containing mucuna pruriens can be tried to help with the parkinsons and the tremors due to this disease. As a neurologist I am very familiar with the various therapeutic options for this health condition and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Yes, you can certainly try this preparation. Mucuna pruriens contains some L-Dopa in it and this is useful in controlling parkinsons symptoms including the tremors. Parkinsons patients ahave deficiency of dopamine in the basal ganglia area of the brain and mucuna provides the dopamine in the form of L-dopa so it is found to be helpful for this condition.

While the usual approach is to start the allopathic preparations containing L-Dopa like Sinemet etc but there are some patients who try these types of non-prescription preparations containing mucuna and it seems to help them

The advantage of using this type of preparation is the side effects are less compared to the prescription preparations. This is being used as a supplement so this type of preparations are tolerated better than the allopathic preparations

Once again to your main question, yes, you can certainly try the mucuna pruriens containing preparations and these preparations have been used by many patients with parkinsons and they find it helpful and also tolerate it well without any major or serious side effects so you can certainly consider trying it.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)