Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I'm a 52 year old woman. I've been experiencing a clear

I'm a 52 year old...
I'm a 52 year old woman. I've been experiencing a clear watery drainage from my nose for a few years now. Its actually been an off and on thing since high school. I never gave it much thought until recently. I have to keep tissues handy all the time. It's a nuisance! It'll just drip and drip. I wear a CPAP at night and sometimes, it feels like there's too much drainage. Some nights are better than others but it seems to be getting worse and worse. I'm on week two of having Shingles. I've taken prednisone and antibiotics. Advise?
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/20/2017
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Well first you need a diagnosis.

What do your doctors say this is?

I haven't asked her. But I plan to call her tomorrow. It's just recently become huge deal when I googled it.

OK

So I think you are asking, what could this be, correct?

I want to know if it can be serious
Please!
I have have kids. My husband has lymphoma I just want answers

Not likely;

Nasal polyps would be most likely. A corticosteroid nasal spray would be one treatment. Also, removal by an ENT doctor, which is who you should see any way.

Allergies are very common and can go undiagnosed, testing by an allergist being needed.

Chronic blocked sinuses are often undiagnosed as well, and in this case an ENT doctor would open the sinus channel.

Those are the most likely causes.

It is not usually serious.

OK, let me know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

That's it? Nasal polyps? I just paid almost $50 for nasal polyps?
Not that I'm uneventful but everything I read led to meningitis!

Nasal polyps was not all I told you.

Did you get my entire post?

I told you about three different things....

I can resend it?

No, not necessary. Thank You.

OK

as you your other concern, I will address it now

This is not a symptom of cancer.

This is not how any type of cancer presents.

It is not a symptom of meningitis. Not what so ever.

Even chronic blocked sinuses that go on for years most often do not cause meninigitis. They are walled off from the brain. If your ENT doctor wants, a*****scan will define if you have a blocked sinus, polyps, etc.

please click a positive rating on the rating scale. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

Thank you Dr. Russ, you've really eased my concerns. I will see my doctor and go from there. Seriously, thank you. I appreciate your time.

Please be sure to click a 5 rating at the top of the page, or I do not get fully credited. You have to do that manually. Thanks.

DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD
DrRussMd
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD