Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My husband suffers from occasional leg cramps at night. Do…

Hi, My husband suffers from...
Hi, My husband suffers from occasional leg cramps at night. Do you know what causes leg cramps? Is there any remedies that you could recommend?
8/20/2017
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Night time leg cramps in this age group is usually caused by prolonged sitting, improper posture, exertion, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance and neuropathy. I would recommend to take lots of fluids and keep yourself well hydrated, massage legs with olive oil, stretching exercises, proper fitted shoes, ridding stationery cycle before going to bed can help.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

I will pass this on to my husband. What is ridding stationery cycle? Would magnesium supplements be helpful too?
He drinks lots of Gatorade in powder form. Is that helpful?
Hi, I had follow-up questions that haven't been answered yet and would like to rate you to conclude this.
Thank you.

Thanks for the patience.

Yes, magnesium and gatorade would help alot. stationary cycle is type of cycling exercise as available in the gym.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Hello again. I have follow-up question about a cause of leg cramps. I showed my husband what you said. He seems to think that frozen pizza or Chinese food causes his cramps because the cramps always come on after he eats this food. I can understand maybe Chinese food because high sodium or maybe msg? Not sure about the pizza though. It is a Vermont local frozen pizza which I think is the healthiest for a pizza. What do think?