Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I have had a headache radiating to my shoulders and feel

numbness in my arms? JA: Is...
I have had a headache radiating to my shoulders and feel numbness in my arms?
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: No nausea but pain for the last 12 hours
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: High blood pressure
8/20/2017
drphophalia

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

What is your present blood pressure?

53 not sure about bp

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Ok thank you
I've taken pain meds. Put lidocaine lotion on my neck but no relief.

This looks like what we term as cervicogenic headache. This headache is caused by referred pain from the upper neck (cervical) joints. The headache is caused by neck movement or sustained awkward head positioning. So people who work long hours on computers are liable to have this kind of headache. Migraine and tension-type headache can be the other possibility.

Physical therapy is the preferred initial treatment for cervicogenic headache.

Headache and numbness can also be due to;

1) Herniated/degenerated disc in neck

2) Cervical spondylosis; bone spurs in the neck vertebrae pressing on the nerves.

Following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the neck spine

2) MRI of the neck

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

2) Cervical Collar or Brace

3) Cervical traction

4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in whom pain / numbness / tingling is quite significant.

6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.

7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound.

8) Hot fomentation

9) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

You can consult following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Being that I have had to be headache for 12 hours and don't know my bp, arm numbness do you think emergency room visit is recommended?

Yes, you may go to emergency room for getting the investigations done and confirming the cause.

You may need prescription medicines too.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

I've taken oxycodone sinc I cannot take NSAIDs or Tylenol. But pain not subsided.

You may need stronger analgesic like Tramadol and Gabapentin.

Ok thank you.

You are most welcome.

A positive rating would be appreciated.

Is Tramadol stronger than Oxy?

In nerve pain, tramadol has better analgesic action.

Gabapentin is also indicated for the neurological pain.

Thank you

These may also help you;

1) Acupuncture

2) Mild massage

3) Correct posture of neck during working.

4) Relaxation technique like meditation.

5) Stretching exercises

6) Occipital blocks

7) Electrical stimulation

8) Therapeutic ultrasound

9) Hot/cold packs.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia
drphophalia, Other