Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I have a question about a weird feeling in my hand after

I have a question about a weird feeling in my hand after certain activities

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello

Hi, so please describe the symptoms bit more in detail

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok so, after certain activities, my grip strength feels weak and i have a weird feeling in the top of my forearm.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thishappens every time after bowling and today it happened after I boxed

How old are you? Gender plz.

Are you overweight?

Does bending your wrist lead to tingling or pins and needles sensations in your hand / forearm?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No nothing like that. I am a 20 year old male slightly over weight, but very active and athletic

How far into the activity do you start feeling this? After how long?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It always starts feeling this way after its over. It was about 5 minutes after my friend and I finished boxing that I noticed it
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it normally resolves within a day. The only time the feeling lasted longer was when I bowled 5 games in a row, it went away after two days
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I should clarify that, as far as I can tell there is no actualweakness, it just feels weak
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
im not sure how else to describe it. There is just a weird feeling when gripping / moving my fingers around

Alright ,well the possibilities include a pinched nerve esp when you bend your wrist or forearm in certain positions. One pretty common condition is called Carpel tunnel syndrome. Its a slowly progressive condition whereby median nerve supplying your hand gets compressed at wrist . Especially in the overweight and activities involving bending wrist too frequently.

It can present with symptoms like weakness, pins amd needles ,tingling etc. These symptoms can evolve over time.

To prevent this you need to give it rest, use a wrist brace/ splint, take antiinflammatory med like naproxen and preferably get an EMG/ NCS test that would exactly tell us about the pinched nerve.

Do you feel weakness anywhere else in your body too ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have had an EMG/NCV on whole body including that area 2 months ago and it was all perfect (it wad for something unrelated). Is there any other likely cause

Its involving just one arm actually so it has to something very localized to that area and with the description you gave it has to be either a nerve or a muscle. EMG NCS pretty much pick any abnormalities in both so thats tricky.

Third thing is blood circulation. So it you need a doppler ultrasound on your arm blood vessels to check the flow. Although it seems less likely of the three.

Hope it helped

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
With that said, would it be anything serious? Like should I be checking this to get it figured out as soon as possible or is it something I don't need to worry too much about.The thing about it only happening to that arm, I'm not sure how significant that actually is since in the case of bowling, I use my right hand to throw the ball, and for boxing, nearly all of my landed punches were with the right hand (since I'm not too good, I struggle with the left :\ ) But yeah both the EMG and NCS showed absolutely no abnormalities. I had that done due to fasciculations I was having and I was worried about ALS so my neuro gave me one to ease my mind

I dont see anything too alarming there esp with EMG NCS being normal. Sports related arm / hand weakness is pretty common and you just need to keep your electrolytes replenished after exercise. Well hydrated too.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks a ton. I'll mention it to my GP next time I see him

You are welcome.

Wish you a healthy life

Kind regards.