Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I was wondering how I should wait for appointment after

I was wondering how long...
I was wondering how long I should wait for a follow up appointment after starting diamox to treat a papilledema.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes, my mom was just discharged yesterday and when the office called today to set up a follow-up, its a month away. She currently has vision impairment from the papilledema. They started her on 3000mg of diamox per day.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Her CSF pressure from a lumbar puncture was 51. They did confirm optic nerve swelling. She said the headaches started approx a month ago and grew in severity until about 2 weeks ago when her eyesight became impaired to where she cannot read or drive. She had shoulder surgery back in march, and was on an anti-inflammatory until about a couple weeks ago.
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: Yes
8/16/2017
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

A month is a very short time for follow up.

what is your concern exactly?

She has had vision impairment for 2 weeks already. My concern is that by the time the diamox takes effect and reduces swelling, the optic nerve swelling will have caused damage and permanent vision loss. Part of my concern is the horrible job her doctors did in explaining anything at all to us. I've had to go off of research I've found online.
At what point does the damage done by the swelling become permanent?

That is impossible to predict.

It is not likely it would be permanent at all.

What did the opthalmologist say?

He didn't. No timeline as to how long before permanent damage, which I get could be tough/impossible to predict. But no timeline as to how long it should take for the diamox to have some effect. Is 1 month a reasonable time to wait and see if the diamox is working with vision impairment? My concern is that this medication will not work fast enough. I understand that my research doesn't come close to what doctors have access to, but a lot of what I was reading mentioned acting quickly once vision becomes impaired to make sure the loss isn't permanent.

I see.

2 to six weeks.

For vision reversal completely I would give it 6 months.

please click a positive rating on the rating scale. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.

DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD
Thank you! At lease that gives us something to go off of! 5 stars it is!

You are welcome anytime, any questions.

I am a double board certified US doctor, trained in conventional medicine, multiple areas of medicine and complementary medicine.

Find me as needed by request, for safe, accurate, comprehensive answers. Us my request link and also give it to your friends, family and colleagues. I am here daily.

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drrussmd/?rpt=3800

Neurodoc
Neurodoc, Board Certified MD

In case you want to get further information or talk on the phone, please get back,

Rapid treatment is indicated for significant vision loss, and it is important to monitor visual fields in this case, in addition to simple vision charting,

We can call you if you are interested in discussing this issue further,

Regards

Phone call session started

I did try to contact you, however there was no response at your end,

Regards

DrRussMd
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified MD