Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Dear Dr Subbanna, I'm sorry to write to you again, but I…

Dear Dr Subbanna,I'm sorry to...
Dear Dr Subbanna,I'm sorry to write to you again, but I can't get my mind of this being some kind of a seizure. I wrote with another neurologist and he wrote me this, when I asked about the duration, so now I'm even more worried.He wrote:"Yes it can still be a seizure, it can not be ruled out completely. We do not depend on the duration of the episode solely for diagnosing seizure, its the comtext thats important. The shorter seizure duration of neocortical onset CPS
may represent either different intrinsic dynamics at the
seizure focus or different patterns (or speed) of seizure
propagation.
I dont mean to scare you with all this. What I want is proper diagnosis wheather seizure or not.
So as i told previously we can not depend upon the duration of the episode solely hence we need imvestigations to confirm or refute our diagnosis. "He also wrote that my Twitches I have can be myoclonic jerks - also seizures. I really don't know what to do... I'm sorry to write again.Best regards Kathrine
8/16/2017
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, Thanks for the question, and I am very glad to help you again with your health concerns.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

I am almost done with my typing I will follow up with you very soon.

Best Regards!

Thank you:-)

You are very welcome! I will follow up very soon.

Best Regards!

I see you have been told by another neurologist that such brief episodes can be seizures, but I am sorry, I do not concur with his views.

I really do not think these are seizures of any kind. There is no suspicion for SPS (simple partial seizures)/auras, CPS (Complex partial seizures), or Myoclonic seizures etc in you, not at all

The episodes you have been experiencing certainly appear some benign episodes, and I really do not understand how any true seizure can last just for 1 to 3 seconds. I have so many years’ experience as a neurologist (so I am an epilepsy specialist too, not just a neurologist), and I have even done an epilepsy fellowship too after my neurology residency, and I have seen countless number of patients with all kinds of seizure disorder, but I have never seen someone having such brief episodes as you are having and then confirmed to have true seizures.

And also if they were true seizures then why even after several weeks now you are not having any kind of progressive symptoms, it is very unlikely someone has brain pathologies, for example like a brain tumor, which precipitates the seizures – but does not produce any other major manifestations or any progressive symptoms or further worsening etc - it is not possible to be like this.

In the past too I had mentioned to you, if possible it is better to get investigated, with a brain mri scan and also possibly with an eeg study etc, but that is for your reassurances, because when these tests will come normal – as expected - then you will feel fully convinced that you indeed do not have seizures or brain tumors etc – and that was the reason I also had mentioned it is better to undergo investigations

But as far as the possibility of these episodes being real epileptic seizures, I am really not convinced these could represent any kind of true seizures or seizures auras.

Once again I can categorically reassure you, these recurrent extremely brief episodes you have been having are certainly not any kind of true seizures, and there is not even an iota of doubt in this regard, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Thank you. I believe in you experience! In Denmark I just have to wait like four months to get a MRI, so that's a long time waiting.
I even think these episodes are only ONE second, not 2 - 3, and they often shows when I'm drifting of to sleep. Have you ever before heard about someone experiencing these kind of "dreamrecalls." If it was a seizure I guess it would affect you consciousness, - and as you explained to me in the past, be of a longer duration, like 15+ seconds or so.

You are very welcome! While you may try to undergo the mri, if possible eeg etc, but there is really no absolute need for these tests, but it is better to get these done if possible so that you will feel fully convinced when they come normal -as expected in you.

Yes this type of such short duration episodes cannot be true epileptic seizures, because true seizures can be of short duration but not just 1 to 3 seconds or so, no never, so these episodes you have been experiencing are certainly not true epileptic seizures.

There was some typo in this statement - I have so many years’ experience as a neurologist (so I am an epilepsy specialist too, not just a neurologist), and I have even done an epilepsy fellowship too after my neurology residency, and I have seen countless number of patients with all kinds of seizure disorder,

Please read the above sentences as this below;

I have so many years’ experience as a neurologist and I have even done an epilepsy fellowship too after my neurology residency (so I am an epilepsy specialist too, not just a neurologist), and I have seen countless number of patients with all kinds of seizure disorder…..

Sorry for the typo earlier, it was due to trying to type faster. Just informing you I did my neurology residency (1995-98), and then 1 year epilepsy fellowship (1998-99) – and both these degrees from NYU Langone Medical Center, New York, NY, one of the best neurology centers in whole USA. In the most recent ranking for all neurological centers in USA the NYU neurology program is ranked 10th (this is out of thousands of neuro programs in USA), just informing you. I take my job very seriously and even if I have tiniest doubt I would immediately mention it to my patients, but I am really not suspecting true epileptic seizures in you, not at all.

Thank you, ***** ***** I trust you and your professionel experience. I'm sorry if I don't sound like it, it is just my anxiety.Have you ever heard of patients experiencing seizures from the temporal-lobe where they experience past dreams, and where it acts differently from this? Longer duration, consciousness impaired etc?. Kathrine

welcome, like I have explained many times before too, I am really not suspecting true epileptic seizures in you.

Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)