Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Can sertraline cause strokes?

Customer Question
Can sertraline cause strokes?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/4/2017
Neurologist: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

Sertraline (zoloft) is a quite safe drug.Serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are the most commonly used antidepressants.

The risk of this type of stroke, which causes bleeding in the brain/stroke is still extremely low.

For most people, though, the risk of stroke linked with these drugs is low.

Only for those,who are in high risk category like history of high blood pressure,diabetes,heart disease etc-non-SSRI antidepressants such as Wellbutrin can be prescribed accordingly.

So bot***** *****ne is for most people & in general-sertraline is a quite safe drug & chances of stroke are extremely low to rare.

Thank you.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

My hands and feet are tingling and I've got a headache?

Dear customer

These tingling in hand & feet and headache can be due to side effect of sertraline but these are not symptoms of stroke.

So please do not worry.

You need to report this side effect to your doctor & discuss if replacement of drug is required.

Thank you.

And please don't forget to leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today,

we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Are "pins and needles" a symptom of a stroke?

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Pins and needles symptom can be a symptom of a stroke when associated with other symptoms & when appeared in high risk category people.

Pins and needles symptom can be a symptom of various other causes such as:nerve compression syndromes, pressure on the spinal nerves such as that due to a herniated disk,high blood pressure, diabetes.

Also this can be due to :Underactive thyroid,abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body,lack of vitamin B12,certain medications.

You need to discuss with your doctor & get examined & tests accordingly &then treatment will be done accordingly.

I have seen that you have not rated my answer so far.Please leave positive rating above the chat box. However if you still have any questions,please let me know..I am happy to address your follow-up questions.Please do not forget to leave positive rating (3 or more stars).

Thank you.

God bless you & take care.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dear customer

Do you have any other follow up question?

Can sertraline effect sexual drive?

Yes,sertaline may effect your sexual drive such as lowered libido, inability to orgasm, delayed orgasm, or erectile dysfunction.

These side effects are less common.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor