Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

I've had consistent pulsation and tightness in my left

Customer Question

I've had consistent pulsation and tightness in my left temple. At first i thought it was just a tension head ache but two things led me to believe otherwise. The first is it just didn't feel like a tension headache--I've had many. The left side of my face, hands, toes and head either numb or tingle on occasion. The pulsation and tightness also started in my jaw and cheek. The top of my head is tingly on and off. My vision is blurrier at times. I also get chronic migraines but have never had these symptoms with them. The second reason is that it's gone on way longer than any tension heachache or migraine I've had. Tension headaches for me can last usually six hours on and off. Migraines about two days. This has been happening for five weeks. My doctor gave me a ESR (a blood test measuring inflamation in the artery in the left temple) and it came back fine. I am vitamin D deficit. He gave me tension headache medication but it has not stopped the pulsation and tightness.
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: no nausea. The pulsation and tightness is constant. The pain is episodic--sharp and stinging and mostly in back left but sometimes temple
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I take prozac (generic) but that's the only drug with adverse side effects. I've been taking it since February and have not had any issues spring up until five weeks ago so I feel they are not correlated
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

What all medications have you tried for this migraine and associated symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Everything. Excedrin, aspirin, Aleve, Tylenol, Advil, ibuprofen, etc. It doesn't help the pain when it's there nor has it stopped the pulsating

Alright i would like you to start something new but it will definitely help improve your symptoms.

Have you heard about topomax?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No what is it? And what do you think the problem is?

The problem is migraine, it can vary in presentations so something new can arise anytime. Topomax is topiramate which is an antiepileptic used for patients having migraine attacks not relieved by simple pain relief.

I would recommend you to discuss it with your doctor . Start with a low dose of 25 mg daily and gradually increase the dose .

I am sure you will feel the improvement with this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Why the pulsation?

Migraine is defined as pulsatiing headache. Its one of its main features.

hope it answered your query.

Feel free to ask any more queries.

Please reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

You can always opt-out if you need a second opinion.

Please avoid leaving a low rating as it hurts an expert's standing

Please see the link ,its mentioned as a pulsating pain ;

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/migraine-headache/symptoms-causes/dxc-20202434

Please let me know if you have any further queries