Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

I have had sensations of tightening in my head, face, chest…

Customer Question
Hello. i have had sensations...
Hello. i have had sensations of tightening in my head, face, chest and abdomen off and on several times a day i had them last week and it lasted a couple days and went away for a week now today i've had them more. it's like a light contraction feeling that hold for a few minutes or up to a few hours. I have health anxiety so I freak out that it's something like MS or ALS
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Neurology
8/1/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist replied 6 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it does NOT sound like that you have developed ALS or MS, while MS would cause tightening sensations in the body, those are usually more patchy in nature and dont occur over the whole body. Secondly it would also be accompanied by motor symptoms meaning weakness in the limbs, decreased power in the muscles or even blurring of vision which would be consistent in nature. Also the tingling in MS would be more persistent and consistent rather than occur intermittently.

As far as ALS is concerned, that is a pure motor condition and usually does not cause tightening in most cases but rather spasms and weakness in the muscles

Now as to what this can be there are several options, the most common one is that you could be having these tightening sensations because of anxiety or stress which is a very common cause of these issues. The intermittent nature of the symptoms also indicates this possibility. Apart from anxiety it can also be due to an electrolyte imbalance and if thios is the case then you can simply use an increased amount of electrolyte rich fluids. Additionally simply increasing the amount of plain water intake can also be helpful here as well.

ANother cause can be associated with neuropathies, which can be due to a number of different causes. This would be diagnosed with a simple NCS/EMG test and would be treated with various medications.

But i would not consider these symptoms as being suspicious of MS or ALS.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

what are neuropathies could you explain that further? I've had sensations and numbness feelings in my head in the past and forehead which I was told was a type of migraine can this be sort of the same thing? i've had often on the past couple days as well as a few days last week. Tonight it seems to be persisting for a few hours... just a mild background squeeze feeling in my head through my abdomen.

If the sensations are ONLY in the head and not so much in the rest of the body then it is more likely to be associated with migraines, neuralgias etc. neuropathies usually dont affect the head area only.

One more thing which i forgot to mention earlier is that if the tightening of the muscles is also sometimes associated with twitching then you could have nenign fasiculation syndrome which is a common cause for these sensations. This would be managed well with medications.

But the symptoms that you are describing is more consistent with musculoskeletal issue which can be due to an electrolyte imbalance and most patients improve after a while with correction of the electrolyte balance.

Do you have any more questions?

what is nenign fasculation? sounds scary? what meds?
could it be a brain tumor?

Sorry that was a typo, i meant to say BENIGN fasiculation syndrome, sorry about that. As the name indicates this is a BENIGN meaning harmless condition. This can cause the spasms and teh twitching that you have but i would keep this down the list, i would still consider anxiety, stress, electrolyte imbalance as the major possibilities here.

Do you have any more questions?

And no this is unlikely to be a brain tumor as it would cause headaches, vomiting, early morning headaches and nausea more commonly.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist