Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

My daughter in law had her spine fused on 6/30/17 she was

Customer Question

My daughter in law had her spine fused on 6/30/17 she was given a 5 day supply of pain medication. She stretched them out to last until this past friday. She is out of them now and each doctor tells her it is against the law in New York for them to prescribe a refill. Who is it legal for to write pain medication refills?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: No Allergies
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She is 28 and has no medical history. This is a Workers Comp case if that makes any difference. She was hurt on the job. She is an EMT for FDNY
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

she should call up her spine surgeon who did the surgery to give her more pain medications than just 5 days

it is not against the law for doctors to write pain medications in NY state

but doctors are worried about her becoming depending on these pain pills and for her to keep coming back to them to get pain medications

the surgeon should be taking care of the pain management for now

until the surgeon refers to her to another doctor like a pain management doctor who can take over pain management issues.