Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My son was in the ER last night with a severe headache dr

Customer Question

My son was in the ER last night with a severe headache dr did CT and blood work all came. Ack ok. He percribed him Butalibital/Acetaminophen. Since 3am he has had 3 doses and doesn't seam to be having much relief, is it normal for this medicine to take a while to break the headache cycle? He is sleeping and has eaten a little today. He is 25 and healthy otherwise. Thank you
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

It is good that all investigations were done and serious causes of a headache have been ruled out. It can take up to 24 hours for a headache to get relieved with this treatment. This combination acts immediately to relieve a headache, so even if after 24 hours of treatment if he still is not feeling any relief with this combination, he should go back to his doctor and more effective and stronger pain relieving medications may then have to be prescribed. Sometimes this combination will not be effective for a severe headache.

Take care.

Did I answer your question? Please reply.

Thank you.

Dear customer,
Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you.

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Do you have any further questions?
Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the answer. We ended up back at the ER and itmwas determined he has Mono, I understand this will take several weeks to pass. They said for him to keep taking the original medicine prescribed for the headache, however Advil seams to help him more. Is there a higher does he can take of over the counter Advil? He is 6'1 235.00. We are trying to get him to drink lots of water because he was dehydrated when we were back in the hospital, he was kept in the hospital over night and released yesterday. Thank you
Dear customer,
You are very welcome!
He can take Advil in a dose of 200-400 mg every 4 or 6 hours. The total Dodge must not exceed 1200 mg in 24 hours. He can take both the medications if needed or can only take Advil.Take care.

Dear customer,
You are very welcome!
He can take Advil in a dose of 200-400 mg every 4 or 6 hours. The total dosage must not exceed 1200 mg in 24 hours. He can take both the medications if needed or can only take Advil.

Take care.