Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My wife has a pain in her hip and now is in her upper part…

Customer Question
My wife has a...

My wife has a pain in her hip and now is in her upper part of her legs. Could this be a sciatic nerve and or arthritis in her lower back.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?

No redness. she has received two sets of cortisone injections in her lower back and has gone to physical therapy for over two months and my wife tells me she doesn't feel any improvements. Instead of arthritis could this be a sciatic nerve?.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/30/2017
Neurologist: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 11 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Has she had an MRI of her lumbar spine and that hip?

no

OK

This doesn't sound like either arthritis or a true sciatica situation

But it does sound like a disk problem in her lower back with nerve root compression and possibly also bursitis of the hip

I suggest she see her doctor for an MRI of the lumbar spine and that hip to check things out

Please let me know if you need any more information