Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My wife has a pain in her hip and now is in her upper part

Customer Question

My wife has a pain in her hip and now is in her upper part of her legs. Could this be a sciatic nerve and or arthritis in her lower back.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?
Customer: no redness. she has received two sets of cortisone injections in her lower back and has gone to physical therapy for over two months and my wife tells me she doesn't feel any improvements. Instead of arthritis could this be a sciatic nerve?.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 2 months ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Has she had an MRI of her lumbar spine and that hip?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no

OK

This doesn't sound like either arthritis or a true sciatica situation

But it does sound like a disk problem in her lower back with nerve root compression and possibly also bursitis of the hip

I suggest she see her doctor for an MRI of the lumbar spine and that hip to check things out

Please let me know if you need any more information