Neurology

Ask a Neurologist. Get Answers to Your Neurology Questions.

Ask a Doctor,

Neurology

About 2 weeks ago I was on a water slide and really

Customer Question
tightened my muscles in sitting...
About 2 weeks ago I was on a water slide and really tightened my muscles in sitting position when I hit the water. Since then I have had pain in left side of neck and upper back near shoulder along with facial tingling in lip and jaw on left side as well as tingling in left arm and leg. Advil seems to alleviate symptoms. Is this something that will take time to heal?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Neurology
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/30/2017
Neurologist: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 3 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Before the water slide incident did you ever have anything like this?

Definitely not the neck pain. The facial tingling and arm tingling have occurred from time to time. I deal with anxiety as well.
Seems to be worse in the morning as I tend to sleep on left side
Aleve or Advil will relieve symptoms.

OK

Sounds like a disk problem in your neck with a nerve root compression

Usually that resolves with rest and time but at this point I suggest you see your doctor for an exam and an MRI of the cervical spine

Usually this isn't a surgical problem and it readily responds to physical therapy

Please let me know if you need any more information

Thank you. How long would it take something like this to heal?

With physical therapy about two weeks

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Without PT?

It might take another month

Ok. Thank you. Is Aleve or Advil the best option for symptoms?

Either is fine but I'd also suggest over the counter topical capsaicin cream to the back of your neck

Thank you. Will that help the tingling in other areas as well from this?

Yes it will

Great. I will definitely try that. The tingling in the face, arm and leg is more annoying than the pain.

I can imagine--but what I suggested will help with that

You have been very helpful. With my anxiety issues I tend to fear the worst.

My pleasure Jeremy

What is the best way to sleep with this issue?
Back, side, etc...

Propped up with head pillows or actually raising the head of the bed and on your back

Ok. Basically head elevated with 2 pillows?

Yes

Side or back matter?

Really it doesn't matter

Please go ahead and rate my service to you

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor