Neurology

Ask a neurologist. Get answers to your neurology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

My wife is disabled for having bipolar and schizophrenia she…

Customer Question
My wife is disabled...

My wife is disabled for having bipolar and schizophrenia she dieonist 15 years ago now about a year ago she was having problems with confusion and they said it was strees and now we've been to the neurologist and he said she has a complex migraine so I went home and looked it up and basicly it does not exist now her symptoms are confusion slurrd speech vomiting falling 3 to 4 times a day her right side of her head really hurts and her left eye drops sometimes she has pain all over her body wants to sleep all the time and still tiered now she's had an mri and eeg a barium swallow which such does have a herneya but nothing to worried about right know so when I read up on migraines she sounds like she has a hemipligc migraine and I tried talking to the Nero that and he was saying all migraines are treated the same I am not happy with him I'm trying to get in some where else and today she fell and hit her head and was out for a few seconds and I'm really getting worried

Doctor's Assistant: Did you have a recent injury to the eye? How is your vision?

No injury but some times she does have blurred vision

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She's taking valium saraquil lamictal prescribed by her psychologist

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Neurology
7/29/2017
Neurologist: Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD) replied 10 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)

Hi there. Sorry to hear about your wife's troubles. What did her MRI show? Did they check her blood levels of the seroquel and lamictal?

The mri showed everthing was good but she also had it with out contrast and they did check her blood and everything came back good I'm not sure on the serpquel levels though
I don't have the money to call so if I could type that would be better

No problem. First, the MRI is good without the contrast (it doesn't add much, in most cases, unlike CT in which it can help a lot). Second, she should have her drug levels tested. Seroquel overdose symptoms may include extreme drowsiness, fast heart rate, feeling light-headed, or fainting. The list of possible side effects of too much Lamictal is very long and includes the symptoms you describe. The good news is that the side effects are typically reversible upon lowering the blood levels. If her levels are normal, I would suggest you ask her doctor about doing an LP (lumbar puncture) to look for evidence of abnormalities in her cerebrospinal fluid.

The lamictal she has been on for 15 years at 100 mg 2 a day and the other one is lupin at 100 mg i thaughyt it was saraquil and also floxtine which I believe is Prozac at 40 mg
Her grand father had mythinalgravis not sure if that's anything you would need to know
she had our son about in 1 22 2015 and her epidural how ever they had to do it a second time and it did not help with the Paine and even when she takes her valium it does not have much effect and as of right know she can barley keep her left eye open which is the side that dropps

Check her levels as they can change depending on many factors including weight changes, lifestyle changes, interactions with other medications, etc. The LP will help rule out chronic central nervous system infections such as Lyme, syphilis, TB, viral encephalitis, etc. Myasthenia gravis is worth ruling out as well as it classically affects the eyes and causes fatigue. Bedside tests for MG include the edrophonium test and the ice pack test. More reliable laboratory methods that aid in the confirmation are serologic tests for autoantibodies and electrophysiologic studies (repetitive nerve stimulation studies and single-fiber electromyography [EMG])

Does this make sense, sir? Do you have any follow up questions?

What is the ice pack test?
Who would order the L.P. test
So you don't think it would be the hemipaligic migrain?
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)